butchered fonts

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Re: butchered fonts

Post by caf4926 »

I see this here recently http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=59&p=670161

And if you search google I found Eg:
http://mohsinhijazee.wordpress.com/2009 ... ontroller/
and so on........
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
mank_in

Post by mank_in »

Maybe you can try 1024x768 resolution , or if you can try with another monitor.
Alx357

Post by Alx357 »

I have already switched from a 1280 x 1024 monitor I previously was using on her Dell/Linux, and have been using a 1024 x 768 monitor for the last 3 days, with no difference in the problem. The monitor I switched back to, the 15" 1024 x 768 monitor, is the original Dell that came with the computer.
Alx357

Post by Alx357 »

At this point, I have a major complaint and objection to the entire Linux operation, the software writers who have created all these OS distributions, offered them as ready to work, and continually updated them without addressing this problem. The machine is a standard Dell computer, about 10 years old, that was running XP properly, just fine, with its built-in on-board graphics processor. What could be so difficult for Linux software creators to make their OS work with a common GPU. ? I'm not a computer programmer, nor a hacker that can deal with this level of complexity in troubleshooting this problem.

IF there was some user-accessible control in the GUI, or program that could be installed to fix the problem, that would be doable, but so far nothing has been shown that is an satisfactory solution. Linux is free, and apparently worth what it costs.

Now that I've had an hour to stew over the first part of this posting, I would like to amend it with this ....

Thank you to all the members who have read my posts and tried to help.

I sure would like to be able to use Linux and have a good experience with it, but I will have to stand by my previous evaluation, from a non-expert user, that the Linux experience has been disappointing.
Alx357

Post by Alx357 »

OK, like Columbo, ..." just one more thing ". Not to prolong the suspense, the Dell with the Linux is WORKING great now. :!:

The problem was, as most of you suggested, the Intel on-board graphics. I learned from a friend that Intel does not publish their code info for the hardware, at least not the graphics, so Linux OS creators don't know how to write drivers for the Intel graphics.

Apparently Intel does provide info on their Pentium 4 processor, so that works fine with Linux no further effort.

I bought a $14.00 Nvidia graphics card off eBay, free shipping, small form low profile PCI Express, it went right in, and with a connector adapter, feeds my Dell monitor thru its VGA cord and port. Everything still works as before, but now the fonts are readable, no distortions etc.

I like the Mint Maya, but have a long learning curve ahead of me to be able to run Photoshop, and whatever Windows application Linux needs, to nallow the install of some of the Windows programs I would like to be using. One thing is that the native Linux screen capture feature is sort of clunky compared to my Print Screen Deluxe 5 Windows program, and even Windows 7's snipping tool is better than the Linux app.
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

Glad you found an acceptable solution. Unfortunately that sometimes means changing out hardware.

And yep don't blame linux. As the Linux community is eager to add hardware compatibility to distro's.
As your friend pointed out it is the manufactures of the devices refusal to either develop linux drivers or open up the source code for said device where linux developers would pounce to do the nitty gritty and write drivers for linux.

Return to “Beginner Questions”