Mint 14 + Cinnamon - screen dimming and panels disabled

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Babbles

Mint 14 + Cinnamon - screen dimming and panels disabled

Post by Babbles »

I'm having an annoying problem with my Mint 14 + Cinnamon environment which I can't get to the bottom of.

Randomly, when I alt-tab between windows, the screen dims by about 50% and I can no longer click on icons in the panels.

Alt-tabbing again will only brighten the screen whilst alt-tab switching is active, and then the screen dims again. Also, right clicking to bring up a context menu shows the menu in full brightness.

I can restore my desktop to working by logging out and back in again. I've tried fiddling with brightness settings but that only changes the brightness down from the current point.

I have no idea what I'm activating accidently by alt-tabbing or how to swtich it off/revert it back - any ideas?

All suggestions gratefully received!

Edit: I should probably add, I'm using Mint 14 + Cinnamon on a laptop, no external monitor - the laptop is a Lenovo T510, Intel i7 M620 @ 2.67GHz, 8GB RAM.

I've also just noticed that the dimming can happen multiple times, so the screen progressively (and randomly) gets darker and darker.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pixman

Re: Mint 14 + Cinnamon - screen dimming and panels disabled

Post by Pixman »

Damn, I'm lucky to find your post! I have the exact same problem. It's dark all the time, but as soon as I press Alt + TAB it brightens up to normal brightness.

Previously, I updated it apt-get dist-upgrade).

Maybe a Compiz-Problem? Most probably, I guess.

ANy help appreciated.
Essexraptor

Post by Essexraptor »

tried checking the power saving options ? Unplugged from the mains laptops normally have a robust power saving profile including screen brightness

menu > system tools > system settings > power

or

menu > system tools > system settings > brightness & lock
anisrehan

Post by anisrehan »

I am having the same problem.
Randomly on alt+tab, the brightness is reduced by almost 50%, and it will keep on reducing, up to the extend that screen is barely visible.
The Alb+Tab seems to activate a type of layer over the main display as nothing is selectable by mouse in sys-tray and taskbar.
I am facing this problem only after installing Linux Mint 14, 64 bit on a Intel Core 2 Duo machine.

Please help.

Return to “Beginner Questions”