Can't select HDMI output

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
russellz
Level 3
Level 3

Can't select HDMI output

Post by russellz »

I have a Toshiba Satellite C870 with Linux Mint 14 Mate installed. When I connect my talevision to the HDMI output the Monitor Preferences window opens and shows a choice of the laptop screen and the TV screen. Fantastic I thought! But . . . the mouse 'touchpad) pointer disappears so I can't select the TV screen. I must be missing something obvious but what?

Russell.
Laptop: HP17bs086nf, Intel Core i5-7200U, Intel HD Graphics 620 . Mint Cinnamon 18.3
Desktop: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3 motherboard, NVIDIA GeForce 210, AMD Phenom II Quad Core Processor 3GHz, 4GB ram, 120GB SSD, 500GB HDD. Mint Cinnamon 18.2

usbtux
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Can't select HDMI output

Post by usbtux »

I think you need to click either F5 or F6 ( yours may be different) to change the output take a look at the keys it may show an icon that may look like 2 screens.
http://goo.gl/DXKgM LinuxMint tutorials.
Running LinuxMint 17.3 Mate. Pepermint 6 & Manjaro 15.12 Capella XFCE
http://goo.gl/WFu0u Installing Mint - the screen cast videos.
linuxcounter #368850

russellz
Level 3
Level 3

Post by russellz »

Thanks usbtux.
The mouse pointer must have frozen because I hit F5 by mistake and switched to external mouse. :oops:

The problem here is that the function key, F4, doesn't seem to work. I had problems with the special function F keys in another distro. Most of them work in Mint but F4 doesn't. However I have now managed to set it up so that it switches automatically when I plug the hdmi cable in.

Now I just have to figure out how to get the sound working so I'll have to read all the posts here on that subject.

Russell.
Laptop: HP17bs086nf, Intel Core i5-7200U, Intel HD Graphics 620 . Mint Cinnamon 18.3
Desktop: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3 motherboard, NVIDIA GeForce 210, AMD Phenom II Quad Core Processor 3GHz, 4GB ram, 120GB SSD, 500GB HDD. Mint Cinnamon 18.2

russellz
Level 3
Level 3

Post by russellz »

O.K.
I can get HDMI sound working by going to Menu>Control Center>Sound>Hardware and selecting Digital Sterio (HDMI) Output but I then have to go back to Analogue Sterio Output to get the built in speakers working after I unplug the HDMI cable.

There must me a simpler way of switching between sound outputs - I could add the Sound set up program to my Startup Programs but I would like to find a simple method that my wife could use. Perhaps if I knew what to do in a terminal I could write a script?

Russell.

aurelian87
Level 1
Level 1

Post by aurelian87 »

Hi,
how did you managed the hdmi video to work? I can not get the vidoe output to the tv.
thanks

Return to “Newbie Questions”