Meging partitions

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mankiboss

Meging partitions

Post by mankiboss »

Hi all!
I just installed the Linux Mint as dual boot on my computer and I managed to make a little mess during the installation.
Prior to the installation I had a Windows 7 with 2 partitions of approx equal size. One of them was my main Windows partition while the other was empty.
I wanted to install the Linux Mint on a part of the second (empty) partition and managed to do it, BUT now I want to add more storage to the "Linux" partition from the empty partition.
I searched a bit on the web and tried to do it using GParted but without success.
I hope someone could be able to help me out.
Greetings :)

P.S. I can't seem to find a way to post a screenshot of GParted. If someone could tell me how, it could be more helpful then my explanation. <-ignore
P.P.S. Basically I want to expand /dev/sda5 (or /dev/sda4 I don't really know the difference :/ )with the unallocated space.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
thegreatgazoo

Re: Meging partitions

Post by thegreatgazoo »

Hi. First of all you can't make these changes from the installed o.s. boot in to a live CD and make your changes there.

Assuming your partitions are as follows
SDA1=windows
SDA2=Linux
Empty space
SDA3=swap

Using gparted in the live CD, right click on SDA2 and select resize. Grab the window and drag it out to fill the empty space. Hit apply. Reboot.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
usbtux

Post by usbtux »

sda1 windows boot partition
sda2 windows

sda3 apears to be an empty linux disk.
sda5 is linux
sda6 swap

sda4 is the extended partition

From a live cd start Gparted

Click and highlight the extended partition sda4
click on resize and drag left into unalocated space.
click and highlight sda5 drag left into unalocated space.
click apply to finalise.

This would give you a larger mint partition, I would reformat sda3 to ntfs so that you can share between both linux and windows.
mankiboss

Post by mankiboss »

I have booted in the liveCD and tried to do as usbtux have told me, as it is what I wanted to do:
Click and highlight the extended partition sda4
click on resize and drag left into unalocated space.
click and highlight sda5 drag left into unalocated space.
click apply to finalise.
But when I click on sda4 the Resize/Move option is grayed out. :(
Any other thoughts/suggestions?
thegreatgazoo

Post by thegreatgazoo »

Do you see a lock symbol next to the partition? This means that it is mounted. Right click and un-mount all the partitions first. Also right click on the swap and turn it off.

The resize option should not be grated out anymore.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
mankiboss

Post by mankiboss »

Thank you. I will try that tomorrow.
Jerry

Post by Jerry »

what you could also do is to delete the sda3 partitoin. That one according to your picture has an ext4 file system on it. Both the sda3 along with the other unallocated partition should merge to become 1 single unallocated partition. Then, once the merged unallocated partition presents itself, you then create a new partitioon and then convert to what ever file system you want.
You should be able to do this through either Operating system. Though when I do something like this, I usually do this through Windows.

Return to “Beginner Questions”