MDM with Userlist: ask password even when not not needed

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Eucalyptus
Level 3
Level 3

MDM with Userlist: ask password even when not not needed

Post by Eucalyptus » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:33 pm

Hi,

Using LM14 XFCE. I select a login theme with a user list. There is a 2nd user in my computer. This is a guest account which I set as "Desktop User" and no password needed for login.

The MDM Login screen "Arc-Brace-Userlist" presents all the users. When I click on the "Guest User" the login process doesn't begin. It asks for a password. Is it a bug or is there anything special to allow a low privilege user to login without a password as it was possible before with LinuxMint 11 ?

Thanks in advance for any help.

TheDynamicHamza21
Level 5
Level 5

Re: MDM with Userlist: ask password even when not not needed

Post by TheDynamicHamza21 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:12 pm

Eucalyptus wrote:Hi,

Using LM14 XFCE. I select a login theme with a user list. There is a 2nd user in my computer. This is a guest account which I set as "Desktop User" and no password needed for login..
That's how it works,Im told, with MATE. All i can find to help you is this for gnome:
Create the nopasswdlogin group,

Code: Select all

sudo addgroup --system nopasswdlogin
and add the following to gdm's pam config in /etc/pam.d/gdm:

auth sufficient pam_succeed_if.so user ingroup nopasswdlogin
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianDesktopHowTo

Since MDM is fork of GDM you may have to do something similar to your system. Also I found this,though i'm not sure if that's what you want.
The first step is simple - create a new user (called Guest, if you like).

Next, we need to lock down your home folder so only you can access your files. To do so, open a terminal (while logged in as your main account) and type:

chmod 700 ~
This will change the permissions on your home folder so that only you and root can view it.

You're all done! You now have a second user account that anyone can use, that cannot access your personal home folder.

http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions ... ux-mint-13

Or you try to install lightDM
http://www.noobslab.com/2012/06/install ... -maya.html
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=102716
http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/934
http://www.webupd8.org/2012/06/how-to-u ... dm-in.html

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable can give you better advice.
Linux Registered User: # 573034

Hamza21.com

telcnas
Level 1
Level 1

Post by telcnas » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:18 pm

You may need to enable the option "Enable Automatic Login" with the selected user under Security Tab of mdmsetup

Simply open your terminal:
$sudo mdmsetup
Under Security Tab do the changes I mentioned above.......
अभयंसत्वसंशुद्धि........१६/१

Eucalyptus
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Eucalyptus » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:08 pm

Hi,

"Enable Automatic Login" is not a good solution. After boot, the computer will log in automatically with this Guest account. While mosyt of the time, I login with my own account which has a password.

Install LightDM would be a perfect solution. But I am concerned that it's too complicated. I am not sure if anyone already succeeded in setting LightDM as default login screen for LM14 XFCE.
TheDynamicHamza21 wrote:That's how it works,Im told, with MATE
I don't know how MATE could get involved. I am using XFCE version exactly because I would like to avoid MATE or Cinnamon.

telcnas
Level 1
Level 1

Post by telcnas » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:50 am

"Enable Automatic Login" is not a good solution. After boot, the computer will log in automatically with this Guest account. While mosyt of the time, I login with my own account which has a password.
Ok now I get what exactly you are trying to achieve........

1. Just Disable "Automatic Login" if there is no requirement for it....
2. Now from my perspective you don't want to enter any passwd at mdm login screen for a particular user say "guest".
3. Now this thing may not be possible via GUI but you can do it through terminal.
4. Open you terminal & Enter :

$sudo passwd -d guest

5. Thats all now you will not be prompted for any passwd at mdm login screen. No need to go for LightDM

Eucalyptus
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Eucalyptus » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:14 pm

telcnas wrote: $sudo passwd -d guest
Thats all now you will not be prompted for any passwd at mdm login screen. No need to go for LightDM
This fixes perfectly. Thanks very much. After I applied your fix, I realize that the issue is probably in the Administration / Users and Groups program. There is probably a bug somewhere that prevents from creating a user directly with "Don't ask password on log in".

Just to be complete on this topic, do you know how to display the user avatar on in the UserList in MDM? For the moment, I have the default icon for all users, in spite that each user already has a specfic user image defined (~/.face)

EDIT: Answer: Type in terminal (learnt from here: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 6&t=113871)
$ mdmphotosetup &
In my case, for some strange reason, the owner of the /home/username/.face file is root. Once I change the owner to the user, I could set the user image in MDMD User List by mdmphotosetup &

Thanks

telcnas
Level 1
Level 1

Post by telcnas » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:35 am

In my case, for some strange reason, the owner of the /home/username/.face file is root. Once I change the owner to the user, I could set the user image in MDMD User List by mdmphotosetup &
Just do following to change ownership:
1. Open you terminal
2. Go to your home directory & enter
$sudo chown Eucalyptus:Eucalyptus .face
OR
$ sudo chown Eucalyptus:Eucalyptus /home/Eucalyptus/.face

where in Eucalyptus:Eucalyptus first Eucalyptus refers to user ownership(just mention your username) & second refers to group ownership(default group name of user which is same as the username).....

Thats all........

Return to “Newbie Questions”