Where do unsuccessfully 'cut' files go?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
hai2410

Where do unsuccessfully 'cut' files go?

Post by hai2410 »

Hi

I was attempting to but several large files from my local hard disk and paste them into my external harddrive. It failed (nothing restarted or anything, but perhaps I forgot to unmount properly I don't know) and now I can't find the files anywhere.

Is there a particular location that I should look where such files might be temporarily stored?

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
grizzler

Re: Where do unsuccessfully 'cut' files go?

Post by grizzler »

They don't actually go anywhere. The filing system action isn't started until you 'paste'. Then they're copied over and after that if the starting action wasn't a 'copy' but a 'cut', the original is deleted (a 'cut / paste' on the same volume is different, but that's not relevant here). If the copy action fails and the filing system notices this, the delete action is skipped.

You write 'It failed'. How exactly? Did you get an error or did it fail silently, i.e. did you only notice the files weren't on the external drive (much) later? In that case I would think you have indeed forgotten to unmount. The files will still be on the external drive, but the mapping hasn't been updated, so they are inaccessible. Maybe file recovery software can help you get them back.
hai2410

Post by hai2410 »

grizzler wrote:You write 'It failed'. How exactly?
Yeah I noticed later on that they weren't anywhere to be found, there was no message or anything.

Never mind, guess they're gone, and they weren't worth the faff of recovery software.

Cheers anyway
hydn

Post by hydn »

Good question. They have to be somewhere even temporarily. I tried cut and pasting a video from my laptop to external drive and it was not successful and I lost it completely. So good question. Since then I've always done "copy", paste then manual delete.

Return to “Beginner Questions”