Is it possibe to install Win 7 to Virtulabox on Mint 32 bit

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
robert.thompson

Is it possibe to install Win 7 to Virtulabox on Mint 32 bit

Post by robert.thompson »

Hello:

I get this error msg when i try to install Win 7 on Virtualbox on my Linux Mint 32 bit PC:
snapshot2.jpeg
Is there a way around this or do I need to go back to Mint Linux 64 bit?

Thanks,

Rob.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
proxima_centauri

Re: Is it possibe to install Win 7 to Virtulabox on Mint 32

Post by proxima_centauri »

http://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch03.h ... 4bitguests
VirtualBox supports 64-bit guest operating systems, even on 32-bit host operating systems,[11] provided that the following conditions are met:

You need a 64-bit processor with hardware virtualization support (see the section called “Hardware vs. software virtualization”).

You must enable hardware virtualization for the particular VM for which you want 64-bit support; software virtualization is not supported for 64-bit VMs.

If you want to use 64-bit guest support on a 32-bit host operating system, you must also select a 64-bit operating system for the particular VM. Since supporting 64 bits on 32-bit hosts incurs additional overhead, VirtualBox only enables this support upon explicit request.

On 64-bit hosts (which typically come with hardware virtualization support), 64-bit guest operating systems are always supported regardless of settings, so you can simply install a 64-bit operating system in the guest.

Warning
On any host, you should enable the I/O APIC for virtual machines that you intend to use in 64-bit mode. This is especially true for 64-bit Windows VMs. See the section called “"Advanced" tab”. In addition, for 64-bit Windows guests, you should make sure that the VM uses the Intel networking device, since there is no 64-bit driver support for the AMD PCNet card; see the section called “Virtual networking hardware”.
If you use the "Create VM" wizard of the VirtualBox graphical user interface (see the section called “Creating your first virtual machine”), VirtualBox will automatically use the correct settings for each selected 64-bit operating system type.
TheDynamicHamza21
Level 5
Level 5

Post by TheDynamicHamza21 »

You can't install 64 bit applications on a 32 bit system. You need to use a 64 bit version of Mint run Windows 7 64 bit or use a 32 bit version of Windows 7. If you have legal COA you can grab a windows 7 32 bit iso for the Dell site here:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-fo ... river.aspx
Linux Registered User: # 573034

Hamza21.com
robert.thompson

Post by robert.thompson »

Thanks! :)

I'll get the 32 bit Win 7.

I hope it will accept my Win 7 64 bit serial number.

Rob.
proxima_centauri

Post by proxima_centauri »

TheDynamicHamza21 wrote:You can't install 64 bit applications on a 32 bit system. You need to use a 64 bit version of Mint run Windows 7 64 bit or use a 32 bit version of Windows 7. If you have legal COA you can grab a windows 7 32 bit iso for the Dell site here:

True for applications, but as the information in my first post outlines, one can run a 64-bit guest with a 32-bit host provided the CPU supports hardware virtualization, and VT-x/AMD-V is enabled in the virtualbox machine settings.
robert.thompson wrote:I hope it will accept my Win 7 64 bit serial number.
I've read that the key should work with both 32-bit and 64-bit mediums as long as the version is the same.
bb333

Post by bb333 »

Why give bad advice? :roll:
robert.thompson wrote:Thanks! :)

I'll get the 32 bit Win 7.

I hope it will accept my Win 7 64 bit serial number.

Rob.
Lenovo ThinkPad T520 - 8Gb ram. Intel CORE i7 vPro
Enable virtualization in the BIOS. It's there. The screenshot you uploaded already has virtualization enabled (most likely detected).
animaleyes76

Post by animaleyes76 »

robert.thompson wrote:Hello:

I get this error msg when i try to install Win 7 on Virtualbox on my Linux Mint 32 bit PC:
snapshot2.jpeg
Is there a way around this or do I need to go back to Mint Linux 64 bit?

Thanks,

Rob.
I had a similar problem and ended up using VMware player which worked first time.

Return to “Beginner Questions”