Drivers Linux & Installing them

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Holland1994

Drivers Linux & Installing them

Post by Holland1994 »

Hi guys, since a few days I have installed Linux Mint 14 32bit. I have some difficulties which I can't overcome actually.
First of all, I'm looking for the "right" the open source driver the ATI R9600 (RV350). The offical ones don't support the newer kernels.
I can't really find some which I can install either.

Secondly, I am looking for drivers for the Realtek rtl8139. I can't find the right ones. However, I have found an .ARM file, how to install that one?
Edit: I have found this topic however, I will check that later. http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=110666

Please help me with my first steps with Linux :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jungle_boy
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Drivers Linux & Installing them

Post by jungle_boy »

Firstly; Welcome to Linux world!. You should try LM13 because it has more old custom kernel and it is stable, with more compatibility with proprietary drivers, or not.

Secondly, Realtek is a fairly standard adapter and has been in the mainline kernel for a long time. The driver/module is 8139cp.ko. The device should be auto-detected on a modern Linux distribution like LM13.
Samsung Odyssey, Octa-core, i5 9300H, Geforce GTX 1650, 16GB RAM, SSD SAMSUNG NVMe 500GB
LM 21 Cinnamon
bb333

Post by bb333 »

For video read the release notes:
http://www.linuxmint.com/rel_nadia.php
http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/l ... ng=English

Ethernet:

Code: Select all

$ ifconfig -a
That's an ethernet card, should be listed, and should work fine.
Holland1994

Post by Holland1994 »

I did, and after some research my gpu is already thrown to legacy by ATI, in 2009. So no hope for the official drivers. Which open source driver can I use for my GPU? Because now it can't even play a 240p video without lagg.
bb333 wrote: Ethernet:

$ ifconfig -a
Ah yes, LAN is working, those drivers are fine I suppose. It's an ethernet card with a wifi antenna. The problem is that the wifi isn't working here in Linux, though it worked in xp&windows7.
So what needs to be done to fix this problem?
bb333

Post by bb333 »

Holland1994 wrote:
I did, and after some research my gpu is already thrown to legacy by ATI, in 2009. So no hope for the official drivers. Which open source driver can I use for my GPU? Because now it can't even play a 240p video without lagg.

$ ifconfig -a
Ah yes, LAN is working, those drivers are fine I suppose. It's an ethernet card with a wifi antenna. The problem is that the wifi isn't working here in Linux, though it worked in xp&windows7.
So what needs to be done to fix this problem?

$ inxi -G
That should list "radeon" as the driver. That is the open source driver. If not, install these and reboot:

xserver-xorg-video-radeon
xserver-xorg-video-ati

or install the proprietary drivers from the link provided.

Wireless likely requires proprietary drivers. Find out what card it is. That realtek is lan only.

$ inxi -N
or

$ lspci
Google "ubuntu [your card]" or "linux mint [your card]"

You can also install windows drivers. There is an option in the linux mint control panel. "windows wireless drivers"
Holland1994

Post by Holland1994 »

$ ifconfig -a
bb333 wrote: That's an ethernet card, should be listed, and should work fine.

$ inxi -G
That should list "radeon" as the driver. That is the open source driver. If not, install these and reboot:

xserver-xorg-video-radeon
xserver-xorg-video-ati

or install the proprietary drivers from the link provided.

Wireless likely requires proprietary drivers. Find out what card it is. That realtek is lan only.

$ inxi -N
or

$ lspci
Google "ubuntu [your card]" or "linux mint [your card]"

You can also install windows drivers. There is an option in the linux mint control panel. "windows wireless drivers"
[/quote]
Thanks for your reply:). About my wifi problem, yes you are right. My realtek is only an ethernet card, and thus is only LAN. My wifi card is: Intersil ISL3886 [Prism Javelin/Prism Xbow]. I installed it via ndiswrapper, but nothing seems to happen.

For the video card, yes it shows up as Radeon,

Graphics:  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI RV350 AP [Radeon 9600] 
          X.Org: 1.13.0 drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1024x768@75.1hz 
           GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on ATI RV350 GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 9.0
So it has the open source drivers, but it does not meet my requirements. I read that the ATI drivers would support my graphic card until Ubuntu 9.10
9600 http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownloa...2&lang=English
X.Org 6.7, 6.8, 6.9, 7.0, 7.1, 7.2, 7.3, or 7.4 ubuntu 9.10 = 7.4
So I probably should take Mint 8/9 then?
bb333

Post by bb333 »

Comments say it works in 14 but YMMV:
http://www.ubuntuvibes.com/2012/10/how- ... egacy.html

Which version of mint are you running? If Cinnamon, turn off 3D effects. Radeon should not be running that slow.

Tweaks may help:
http://help.ubuntu.com/community/Radeon ... The_Driver

--------------
Install linux-firmware-nonfree.

$ sudo apt-get install linux-firmware-nonfree

$ sudo modprobe p54pci

$ iwconfig
Should list your card.
Holland1994

Post by Holland1994 »

Thanks for your reply.
My wifi is working, thanks mate.
I turned off my Cinnamon 3D effects, and it does improve my performance. I can now play 480 videos, the stutters are hardly noticable, thanks!
However, I do have a question about the driver tweaks. I can't find the xorg.conf in

/etc/X11/
Do you think they should help in this situation?
bb333

Post by bb333 »

Holland1994 wrote:Thanks for your reply.
My wifi is working, thanks mate.
I turned off my Cinnamon 3D effects, and it does improve my performance. I can now play 480 videos, the stutters are hardly noticable, thanks!
However, I do have a question about the driver tweaks. I can't find the xorg.conf in

/etc/X11/
Do you think they should help in this situation?
Have no clue. I can only speak for Intel integrated graphics (it did help a bit with video tearing and other things).

xorg.conf was removed a while back. I know in debian you can still create it.

http://wiki.debian.org/Xorg

CTRL+ALT+F2 through F6 to find a terminal (screen will turn black with just a prompt) F7 should get you back to mint.

$ sudo /etc/init.d/mdm stop

$ sudo cd /etc/X11/

$ sudo Xorg -configure
replace mdm with whatever your display manager is. gdm, kdm, xdm. Cinnamon should be mdm.

$ sudo /etc/init.d/mdm start
It should be there now. Edit it as sudo/root. Reboot may be necessary for changes to take effect.
Holland1994

Post by Holland1994 »

Thanks, that worked.
I have one last question though, how to implent a start up command like: sudo modprobe p54pci.
I have put it in my rc.local, but it won't work.
This is how it looks like:

#!/bin/sh -e                                                                        
#                                                                                  
# rc.local                                                                          
#                                                                                  
# This script is executed at the end of each multiuser runlevel.                    
# Make sure that the script will “exit 0″ on success or any other                  
# value on error.                                                                  
#                                                                                  
# In order to enable or disable this script just change the execution              
# bits.                                                                            
#                                                                                  
# By default this script does nothing.                                              

sudo modprobe p54pci
So how should I address this?

Return to “Beginner Questions”