Which is better supported Cinnamon or MATE ?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
JESSEJJ89

Which is better supported Cinnamon or MATE ?

Post by JESSEJJ89 »

I haven't used Linux Mint since Katya (11). Now I'm considering switching back from Windows 8. What currently receives better support Cinnamon or MATE ? Is it safe to use the latest version "Nadia" ?

Thanks,
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Orbmiser

Re: Which is better supported Cinnamon or MATE ?

Post by Orbmiser »

Depends on the system since Win8 I suppose you can use either.

Mate is the classic Gnome 2 crowd with some backporting of new stuff.
And is the most mature and stable over Cinnamon.

But Cinnamon is the focus for the future. Developing and growing quite snappy and fewer issues for many.
No major bugs or roadblocks if your video chipset is supported. My setup ran straight out of the box everything worked.

I Like Cinnamon as a more modern gnome 3 back-end with Gnome 2 features used by users.
And making a lot of progress with Cinnamon 15 around the corner end of May.

But now have switched to Linux Mint 14 KDE and is my preferred desktop that works for me.

Would download whichever flavors and give the LiveCD a spin to see which may be better tuned to your needs and preferences.
Last edited by Orbmiser on Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JESSEJJ89

Post by JESSEJJ89 »

Orbmiser wrote:Depends on the system since Win8 I suppose you can use either.

Mate is the classic Gnome 2 crowd with some backporting of new stuff.
But Cinnamon is the focus for the future.

I Like Cinnamon as a more modern gnome 3 back-end with Gnome 2 features used by users.
And making a lot of progress with Cinnamon 15 around the corner end of May.

But now have switched to Linux Mint 14 KDE and is my preferred desktop that works for me.

Would download whichever flavors and give the LiveCD a spin to see which may be better tuned to your needs and preferences.
Thank your for replying.

Would you say that it's safe to get the latest version ? Or should is it safer to install the LTS version ?
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

For me always happy to go with the more bleeding edge as long as the feedback seems positive enough.
As always backup working linux partitions with redo backup to external usb so I can try out different distro's in real time use.

But comes down to individual tolerances for bugs,etc.. Sometimes those are even apparent for apps in LTS versions.
Really can't say which to go for.

If I was concerned would install the LTS and setup with my apps,adjust settings and tweak to My working system.
Then use Clonezilla or Redo Backup http://redobackup.org/ which easier to use and backup the partitions to an external usb drive.

That way when I might want to try a new flavor I have a fallback setup that takes 20mins to restore too.
Then install new Distro over the same partitions clean install. Then will install apps,settings,etc.. and use for a week or month to evaluate if it is a better for Me distro. If I like then will backup that version also for maybe future switch to use.

For dual booting back up Win7 and Linux partitions. Then you have a set even if the hardrive dies altogether. Slap in new drive and restore partitions to it and ready to fly.
JESSEJJ89

Post by JESSEJJ89 »

Well thanks for your help Orbmiser :)

Got rid of Windows 8 and installed Nadia Cinnamon, and I'm happy with it. I forgot how Linux Mint works out of the box ! Thanks again.
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

Glad it worked out for you.
nomko

Post by nomko »

JESSEJJ89 wrote:Well thanks for your help Orbmiser :)

Got rid of Windows 8 and installed Nadia Cinnamon, and I'm happy with it. I forgot how Linux Mint works out of the box ! Thanks again.
Since you installed Mint+Cinnamon, take a look here: http://cinnamon.linuxmint.com/.
Especially the themes, applets and extensions tab.

Return to “Beginner Questions”