Can i turn my old server into a computer

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Lethal

Can i turn my old server into a computer

Post by Lethal »

I was wondering if i can turn my old Windows Server 2003 into a desktop with linux and windows xp.

The Specs i dont know, other than it has a dual core 3.00 Xeon and 2gb a RAM(i didnt buy this my parents did for work).

Im not really familiar with servers and that is why i am asking this question.
Please help.

What version of Linux mint would you recommend with a computer with specs above.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My computer:
I would like to have linux mint on my computer because i do not like Windows 7 that much. Loved Linux mint because of its low RAM system files.

Specs:
Amd 1090t OCed to 4.6ghz
Water cooling
32gb RAM(G.skull sniper series)
ASUS Motherboard m4 series
AMD Radeon HD 6850
2 hard drives

What version of Mint would you recommend for this computer.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
igor83

Re: Can i turn my old server into a computer

Post by igor83 »

Lethal wrote:I was wondering if i can turn my old Windows Server 2003 into a desktop with linux and windows xp.

The Specs i dont know, other than it has a dual core 3.00 Xeon and 2gb a RAM(i didnt buy this my parents did for work).

Please help.

What version of Linux mint would you recommend with a computer with specs above.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My computer:
I would like to have linux mint on my computer because i do not like Windows 7 that much. Loved Linux mint because of its low RAM system files.

Specs:
Amd 1090t OCed to 4.6ghz
Water cooling
AMD Radeon HD 6850
2 hard drives

Your Xeon seems plenty powerful enough to run any version of Linux Mint you desire. I'm partial to the KDE desktop, myself. Give Nadia a try and see whether it works. For your massively overpowered rig above with 32G (!), Linux Mint Nadia KDE, no doubt about it, with all the bells and whistles your little heart desires.
homerscousin

Post by homerscousin »

I always thought servers were set up for a particular purpose and usually skimped on the graphics. This might be an area of concern as to which desktops run smoothly- mobo graphics or a vid card?
Run anything you want on your 1090t. I'll vote for KDE.
Lethal

Post by Lethal »

igor83 wrote:
Lethal wrote:I was wondering if i can turn my old Windows Server 2003 into a desktop with linux and windows xp.

Please help.

My computer:

Specs:
Amd 1090t OCed to 4.6ghz
Water cooling
AMD Radeon HD 6850
2 hard drives

Your Xeon seems plenty powerful enough to run any version of Linux Mint you desire. I'm partial to the KDE desktop, myself. Give Nadia a try and see whether it works. For your massively overpowered rig above with 32G (!), Linux Mint Nadia KDE, no doubt about it, with all the bells and whistles your little heart desires.
im worried about the RAM. 2gb is really bad. 6gb is usually recommended for a daily task computer that is going to be used for college hw, work, and listening to music at the same time/
passerby

Post by passerby »

2GB is enough, but if you're worried about resource usage I recommend trying the XFCE or MATE editions.
Lethal

Post by Lethal »

passerby wrote:2GB is enough, but if you're worried about resource usage I recommend trying the XFCE or MATE editions.
can you give me a bit more detail about the differences. I see the user interface is different, but how will RAM usage for that be less?
passerby

Post by passerby »

Lethal wrote:can you give me a bit more detail about the differences. I see the user interface is different, but how will RAM usage for that be less?
I suppose it's mostly to do with the default programs used and the way the desktop is handled.
Take XFCE, for example. It isn't heavy on desktop effects, the panels are simple and straightforward, and the default applications chosen were picked specifically because they're lightweight alternatives. It's made to be as light and customizable as possible.
There are plenty of comparison articles out there outlining the differences in detail; a quick google search of something like "XFCE vs Unity" should help answer your question.
igor83

Post by igor83 »

For the record, my laptop with 2 GB of RAM and a 1.8 ghz Intel Core 2 Duo runs Linux Mint Nadia KDE just fine. No lags. Boots in less than a minute. I run Firefox for my internet browser. Now, I used to fret about how ancient the thing was, so I used to run Mate on it for that reason, but I got a bit annoyed with that. Many people like it however, but I ran into various problems that probably only affect a small number of users... But sure, there's Xfce and Mate if you are a heavy multi-tasker. I don't really multi-task that much, other than running VLC in the background to play music while I browse the Internet or play Dungeon Crawl. But if you are decoding nucleotides, brute-forcing encryped strings, or analyzing satellite data with your spare cycles, then you might want a lighter weight desktop. I just think 2 GB is plenty for any flavor of Linux I can imagine. I have never heard of a Linux distro that needed more than 2 GB. But I guess it depends on what you have in mind. I know that in KDE, there is something called "Workspaces," that allows one to switch between working configurations, i.e. open apps. I don't use that myself, but if you did, then that particular feature might well require a bit more than 2 GB RAM.

Return to “Beginner Questions”