Upgrading Python?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Nikolai

Upgrading Python?

Post by Nikolai »

I note that the version of Python packaged with Maya is 2.7.3. I'd like to upgrade to 3.3.0, either alongside or instead of. How should I go about doing that so that Geany can find it?

Thanks for your input. I'm really looking forward to learning more about Linux.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Upgrading Python?

Post by xenopeek »

First, do not mess with the installed Python versions or try to change which Python version is the default interpreter. That will break your system, as core programs of your operating system depend on the certain versions of Python being installed and being the default interpreter. Python 2 isn't compatible with Python 3 in most cases, and even from Python 3.2 to Python 3.3 things can break (another user had that problem recently).

Maya doesn't have Python 3.3. You can add Python 3.2 to your system though, installed alongside Python 2 without causing problems. To do so, install the package libpython3.2 and that will pull in the other needed packages automatically.

Then start any script your want to use Python 3 with:

Code: Select all

#!/usr/bin/env python3
Or for specifically Python 3.2:

Code: Select all

#!/usr/bin/env python3.2
Nikolai

Post by Nikolai »

Many thanks.

I see they're already starting on alpha-releasing 3.4.x. You wouldn't happen to have enough of an inside track to know what's going on there, would you?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Nope :) I just know from experience here, and from using Python 3 without problems myself, what you can and can not do with mixing multiple Python versions.

Return to “Beginner Questions”