I can't copy and paste files due to permissions

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
JF007

I can't copy and paste files due to permissions

Post by JF007 »

Forgive me if this has been asked many times as I've done a search on here and google and worked out how to access superuser via the terminal, but it doesn't seem to solve my issue.

I've downloaded applets for Cinnamon, extracted and now wish to copy and paste the folder to "~/.local/share/cinnamon/applets/", I can access the applet folder via the graphical window but if attempt to copy and paste or drag and drop, i get the following messages

"cannot be copied because you do not have permissions to create it in the destination"

How do I solve this? and is there a way to make it a permanent fix?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
cecar
Level 4
Level 4

Re: I can't copy and paste files due to permissions

Post by cecar »

Open up a terminal and do:

Code: Select all

gksu nemo
Now you have a filebrowser with elevated priviligies.
Last edited by cecar on Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Detonate

Post by Detonate »

Yep. That will open your file manager with elevated (sudo) privileges. One of the first things I do with a new distro installed, is create a menu item labeled "Root File Manager" with the above command. Of course change it to open your file manager, in my case I am running Mate, so the command is

gksu caja
Only use this when you need it, because if you start manipulating files in your home directory with this, you may end up with ownership problems.

When in this elevated privilege mode, if you select to edit a file, that file will open in your text editor with elevated privileges, so use with care.
JF007

Post by JF007 »

Cheers, that worked for two of the applets!

The only other issue I have, is that I can't change the Menu (i'm running Mint 13) to the advanced mint menu that I downloaded via software manager (I can't see any option to switch to the menu) and I also tried downloading the applet but the link provided on the cinnamon applet site must be outdated.

Any suggestsions on how to fix this?
JF007

Post by JF007 »

Also how do I exit this mode, as I typed in "exit" but I can still copy and paste so I assume I'm running as a privileged user?
Detonate

Post by Detonate »

When you enter sudo mode, you stay in sudo mode for 5 minutes, you can exit this by running the command

sudo -K
This will take you out of sudo mode.
JF007

Post by JF007 »

Many thanks :D

Return to “Beginner Questions”