Installing Linux Mint on Mac Mini- Internet issues

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Asterisk411
Level 1
Level 1

Installing Linux Mint on Mac Mini- Internet issues

Post by Asterisk411 »

I'm a noob with linux in general, I recently purchased a Mac Mini 2012 and I was looking to triple boot it for OSX, Windows 8, and Linux Mint. I got all three installed however linux mint doesn't have the internet driver support needed for the Mac Mini. I downloaded the applicable driver I believe (http://www.broadcom.com/support/etherne ... esktop.php) however there was only rpm (which Mint doesn't support) and some tar files (which I don't know how to use to compile).

I don't know what to do, should I just wait for Linux Mint 15 and hope they have the driver support then? Or is there another (and easy) way to get the driver installed?

Thanks

bu99zy
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Installing Linux Mint on Mac Mini- Internet issues

Post by bu99zy »

You can convert rpm packages to deb using alien

Code: Select all

apt install alien
To convert a file open a terminal, then change to the directory the file is in, for example if it is the download folder

cd Downloads
Then to convert to a deb file use the -d option in alien

sudo alien -d name-of-the-file.rpm
For all the alien options

alien -h
Edit : I was bored and had time on my hands so I converted for you ... TG3-3.124c-2-Driver

Asterisk411
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Asterisk411 »

Unfortunately the deb doesn't seem to work. It installs but the internet is still off. Sigh.

Thanks though, do you think the problem will be fixed on Mint 15?

PS. I basically want it as my multimedia/internet OS with the occasional game.

bu99zy
Level 3
Level 3

Post by bu99zy »

Asterisk411 wrote:Unfortunately the deb doesn't seem to work. It installs but the internet is still off.
Did you reboot or modprobe the driver?

sudo modprobe tg3
Compiling it doesn't look that difficult, guide is here.
Asterisk411 wrote:I basically want it as my multimedia/internet OS with the occasional game.
You could install it in a virtual environment, I run OSX Lion on one of my computers and Mint Debian Edition runs like a dream using VMWare Fusion, you can also use VirtualBox which is free but VMWare seems to have better graphic drivers.

Return to “Newbie Questions”