Window Edges Deformed

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ajdrew06

Window Edges Deformed

Post by ajdrew06 »

Hello all,

I am a long-time Ubuntu user. Like many people, I am considering switching over to Mint. I installed a LiveCD of Mint Linux 14 Cinnamon on a 2 GB USB stick. When I was testing out Mint, many of the windows edges (both directories and software windows) were pixilated and discolored. Often in Windows OS, windows will get pixilated or blurry, but all you have to do is move the window around the screen or minimize & unminimize and the problem goes away. Unfortunately, this pixilation seemed to move with the window, and it did not get better by closing & reopening, restarting, etc.

I wasn't sure if there was an incompatibility issue with my video card, or if the LiveCD version simply can't "keep up" with the OS. I understand LiveCD is often slower. If it is a speed issue, I would gladly give Mint a try on a full installation. I don't want to reformat & find out I need to go back to Ubuntu.

I was wondering if anyone has ever experienced anything similar.I appreciate everyone's time in providing their feedback.

-Drew
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Window Edges Deformed

Post by catweazel »

ajdrew06 wrote:When I was testing out Mint, many of the windows edges (both directories and software windows) were pixilated and discolored. Often in Windows OS, windows will get pixilated or blurry
If it's happening in more than one OS then you should consider troubleshotting a hardware fault first.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
gondzo

Post by gondzo »

I have the common problem: border of my window, terminal/browser text page(2 latters sometimes more) are sometimes blurry.
My hw: dell e6400 (intel gma 4500m)->HDMI/VGS -> iiyama prolite b2475hds.
Setup: 2 displays: (1920x1080) and (1440x900).
On my laptop I don't noticed this effect (I use it rare). When i highlight everything back to normal. Does enybody have the same issue? How to solve it?

I am using Mint 16 xfce.
grimdestripador
Level 6
Level 6

Post by grimdestripador »

I have a bad DVI and VGA minitor cable which creates ghosting to mainly vertical lines on the screen. The higher the resolution the worse it seems to get. Perhaps try swapping out video cables.
gondzo

Post by gondzo »

I have a bad DVI and VGA minitor cable which creates ghosting to mainly vertical lines on the screen. The higher the resolution the worse it seems to get. Perhaps try swapping out video cables.
I will check it. Thanks :)
grimdestripador
Level 6
Level 6

Post by grimdestripador »

There can also be an aspect ratio mismatch. Sometimes when booting the live CD on a computer connected HDMI to a 1080p screen, i get strange reported resolutions which arn't the same aspect ratio, thus relating to a pixle mismatch and dithering and anti-aliasing effects occuring.

Return to “Beginner Questions”