"Best Linux Mint to install?"

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
elchucko

"Best Linux Mint to install?"

Post by elchucko »

I've downloaded Mint 14 (Cinnamon) and do not understand how to resolve the "root partition" (SIC) question. Thinking it might be errors during the download I ordered a disk with Mint 14 and ran into the same problem. Anyhow after "messing around" during the install (s) it appeared to run OK. When using Mint 14 it would randomly hang the OS (the cursor would move but nothing else would work). I then decided to download Mint 12 w/o codecs. It displayed garbage characters an random garbage at the bottom and top of the screen. I've read that Minx 14 is full of bugs so that's the reason for the attempt at 12. What version is stable? Thank you
kurok
Level 2
Level 2

Re: "Best Linux Mint to install?"

Post by kurok »

Well they are all stable other wise they wouldnt have been released. I'm thinking that the xfce version might be better since it uses less of the gnome 3 stuff in it. I'm not an expert just a casual user but if you give us more info like what the specs on it some one will be able to come along and help you out.
The Dark Side
Level 4
Level 4

Re: "Best Linux Mint to install?"

Post by The Dark Side »

Estimate: If you are looking for a high stability, I recommend especially Linux Mint 13 LTS. No computer is that you got, but if you do not have a computer more or less now, I do not recommend KDE and Cinnamon versions. If you have a computer that has a couple of years, I recommend Mate and XFCE versions. Especially XFCE fly !!!! Best regards.-
MX Linux 18.3 (KDE & XFCE)
PCLinuxOS KDE
PCLinuxOS MATE
Devuan Ascii 2

Return to “Newbie Questions”