Icons on right side of desktop

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
alligoodw
Level 2
Level 2

Icons on right side of desktop

Post by alligoodw »

Using Linux Mint 14, Cinnamon, is there a way to have icons automatically appear on the right side of the desktop as oppose to the left?
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Icons on right side of desktop

Post by catweazel »

alligoodw wrote:Using Linux Mint 14, Cinnamon, is there a way to have icons automatically appear on the right side of the desktop as oppose to the left?
Short answer: Yes. Modify the desktop manager source code.
Long answer: No. It seems that stacking icons on the left is the universally accepted method.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
InkKnife
Level 5
Level 5

Post by InkKnife »

TehGhodTrole wrote:
alligoodw wrote:Using Linux Mint 14, Cinnamon, is there a way to have icons automatically appear on the right side of the desktop as oppose to the left?
Short answer: Yes. Modify the desktop manager source code.
Long answer: No. It seems that stacking icons on the left is the universally accepted method.
Macs have used right justified icons on the desktop forever. Really, it should be a choice the same way we can have windows widgets any way we want them.
I can tell ya, after migrating to Linux after 20 years of using Macs I would sure prefer my desktop icons on the right.
i7 3770, 12GB of ram, 256GB SSD, 64GB SSD, 750GB HDD, 1TB HDD, Cinnamon.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

InkKnife wrote: I can tell ya, after migrating to Linux after 20 years of using Macs I would sure prefer my desktop icons on the right.
I take it that modifying the source code yourself isn't an option.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
InkKnife
Level 5
Level 5

Post by InkKnife »

TehGhodTrole wrote:
InkKnife wrote: I can tell ya, after migrating to Linux after 20 years of using Macs I would sure prefer my desktop icons on the right.
I take it that modifying the source code yourself isn't an option.
:lol:
Laser on. I'm an old pre-press monkey. I don't know source code from morris code. :?
Honestly I don't have a strong feeling about this. I just don't use the desktop like I used to. Files are easier to get to and work with in Nemo.
i7 3770, 12GB of ram, 256GB SSD, 64GB SSD, 750GB HDD, 1TB HDD, Cinnamon.

Return to “Newbie Questions”