user or superuser

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Dominosdad

user or superuser

Post by Dominosdad »

I have not set up any accounts other than the original.
The command line prompt is a $
When I look at Linuxcommand.org it says that this $ is a user prompt and the # is the admin/superuser.
I don't understand this. This account seems to have all the admin privilages. And there is no other.
Or does MINT use a different protocol?
:?:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Nimphina

Re: user or superuser

Post by Nimphina »

Can you use apt-get without using sudo? Using sudo gives a normal user the ablity to run programs with superusers privliages which can be defined in the sudoers file.
palo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by palo »

Dominosdad wrote:When I look at Linuxcommand.org it says that this $ is a user prompt and the # is the admin/superuser.
That is correct. Since you are the admin you can elevate privileges in the terminal with the command su and enter your password - you will see the prompt change. Do not enter any command at this level until you know what you are doing. Type exit to return to the user prompt. More often you will be using a Simon Says command like sudo with your password for a one command elevation. HTH

Pat
Dominosdad

Post by Dominosdad »

Gottit, I understand. I tried what you said and all became clear.
it's the same as in the gui, it takes the p/w to give top level control within the admin user's account.
Not like Windows which has a fixed level of control for each login.

Return to “Beginner Questions”