Vanishing windows

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Dominosdad

Vanishing windows

Post by Dominosdad »

I'm sure there is already an answer for this posted somewhere, if I could only frame the search question right.*

When I get too close to the right of my screen the current window vanishes off to the left. I have to move the cursor to the left and click to make it reappear.
As I mentioned, I'm sure that there is an answer already, if I could find it, so I don't mind being offered a link to the solution.

*I'm probably not using the right terms.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Vanishing windows

Post by xenopeek »

Linux supports the concept of workspaces, which is what you are encountering. If you have so configured your desktop environment, moving your mouse to the edge of a screen can move you to the next (right) or previous (left) workspace. Applications you open on one workspace are not visible (by default, but this is configurable) on other workspaces. But they keep running. So for example you can open your music player on one workspace and start playing some music, then move back to another workspace and continue working on something else why music plays but your screen isn't cluttered with also having the music player window there.

You can of course configure this behavior. Depends on what desktop environment you have how.
Dominosdad

Re: Vanishing windows

Post by Dominosdad »

Thank you,
I now have a screen that doesn't vanish each time I move my mouse a bit too far to the right.
What a relief.
I can actually do stuff.

Return to “Beginner Questions”