Should I upgrade my kernel to 3.8?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Jesse_V
Level 1
Level 1

Should I upgrade my kernel to 3.8?

Post by Jesse_V »

Linux Mint 14 uses the 3.5 kernel series, which is a bit out-of-date and is no longer officially supported.
3.8 seems to be the latest stable release, and from what I've read there's a lot of really cool changes (security, enhancements, and improvements) between 3.5 and 3.8. I'm about to reinstall Mint 14 as I messed some things up. Before I install nvidia-current, should I go fetch the 3.8 kernel? Or is staying with the default 3.5 series recommended?

Looks like there are plenty of instructions on how to upgrade to 3.8, here's one that I'd follow: http://www.upubuntu.com/2013/03/install ... 83-in.html
Folding@home article on Wikipedia, a Featured Article
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. -Margaret Mead

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Should I upgrade my kernel to 3.8?

Post by xenopeek »

Do whatever you want :wink: Just as long as you are comfortable with recovering if kernel 3.8 doesn't work for you (no biggy, but not something non-technical users will figure out or generally want to do). If it works, great. If it doesn't and you machine borks, just boot with one of the old kernels and remove the 3.8 kernel again.

AFAIK the kernel on Linux Mint 14 is supported till April 2014: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/FAQ#Kern ... support.3F

If you install the 3.8 kernel as per those instructions you linked to then yes, you will have installed an unsupported kernel.

Orbmiser
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Orbmiser »

"Linux Mint 14 uses the 3.5 kernel series, which is a bit out-of-date and is no longer officially supported."
Where is that stated? Or what is insecure about it?
Mine running fine and zero issues including security issues.

You could do it for a learning experience.
But many seem to feel somehow lacking if they don't have the latest,greatest running.
Otherwise Mint 15 will be out in 2 months with upgraded kernel.

I've just never been convinced that an older kernel is somehow bad or insecure to use.
As none have been able to point out a real world situation or scenario. More like theoretical possibilities.

Now if a newer kernel resolves some now issue I'm having on my system or a feature I need than I would be the first to jump.

AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Ubuntu has taken over the support for the kernel after the kernel.org team made it end of life.

If your computer works fine, then no need to upgrade.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.

Return to “Newbie Questions”