Update Manager

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jpmackay

Update Manager

Post by jpmackay »

I am new with this for over a little two weeks so far. I am trying to learn new things every day with Linux Mint 14. I am using this program on my laptop with nothing else beside. I used to have Windows Vista on my laptop and decided to go with Linux Mint 14. Anyway I noticed that on the bottom taskbar with a red X on Update Manager. And here is the message below that I have copy/paste from the Update Manager.

ERROR###ERROR###ERROR###ERROR###ERROR###ERROR###ERROR
W:Failed to fetch http://packages.linuxmint.com/dists/nadia/Release Unable to find expected entry 'restricted/binary-amd64/Packages' in Release file (Wrong sources.list entry or malformed file)
, E:Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Forgot to tell you that I have installed Cinnamon 1.6 as well. So what am I suppose to correct the problem above?

Thank you for your patience with me.

John P. Mackay
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ChinaJ

Re: Update Manager

Post by ChinaJ »

Sounds like you just had a internet hiccup. Try waiting a little while, see if that helps. Fortunately, all your other updates will be valid, just not the ones associated with the "Restricted" files.

I would also recommend going to Software Sources and for the server, have Linux Mint choose the Best Server for you rather than the main one you're currently set on. This will ping all the available servers that mirror the LM files and choose the "fastest" one for you, as well as lessen the load on the main server.

Return to “Beginner Questions”