Page 1 of 1

Flash player Mint 13 Mate Problem

Posted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:04 pm
by HAMOS
So I had writting up a whole thing about what was happening then google opened so here's the short version.

There is a problem with the flash player plugin.

The system

Linux Mint 13 w/Mate
Firefox 19.0.2
Shockwave flash 11.2 r202
Both Totem and Gecko installed and everything up to date.

What it used to be

Linux Mint 11
Firefox 4ish
Shockwave flash 11.2 r202


Problem description: Flash player is selective on what it will play. It will play youtube videos and such but won't open flash player pop-up windows like on food network the your personal recipes won't work and the video http://www.1channel.ch/external.php?tit ... loggedin=0 won't play. Now both used to work when mint 11 was installed so maybe I'm missing something on the new system? Maybe it has to do with things ending in the extension .flv. I've tested both sites on a windows system using 11.6.602.180 and both work, the pop-up window with the recipe and the movie.

Again, both worked when the system was mint 11.


Any possible answers to this problem are appreciated.

I will keep looking and trying things in the mean time.


Where the flashplayer file is:

/urs/lib/mozilla/plugins/flashplugin-alternative.so

~directed to~

/etc/alternatives/mozilla-flashplugin

~directed to~

/usr/lib/flashplugin-installer/libflashplayer.so

Re: Flash player Mint 13 Mate Problem

Posted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:42 pm
by bigj231
Did you try the adobe flash in the repositories? Search for it in synaptic if you haven't already.
Also, the sites might not support the older version of flash. Chromium includes a pepper-API flash that works well in my experience.

Re: Flash player Mint 13 Mate Problem

Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:39 pm
by HAMOS
bigj231 wrote:Did you try the adobe flash in the repositories? Search for it in synaptic if you haven't already.
Also, the sites might not support the older version of flash. Chromium includes a pepper-API flash that works well in my experience.



I did try the repositories including mint-flash as well and all the combinations I could to no avail. The sites work with the older adobe flash because as I said, before the upgrade from mint 11 to mint 13 they worked with the same adobe flash version.

Re: Flash player Mint 13 Mate Problem

Posted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:48 am
by RobertLM78
I can confirm this problem. For some reason the Shockwave Flash update is being blocked by Mozilla. I sure hope this gets sorted out quickly :(.

Re: Flash player Mint 13 Mate Problem

Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:48 am
by HAMOS
RobertLM78 wrote:I can confirm this problem. For some reason the Shockwave Flash update is being blocked by Mozilla. I sure hope this gets sorted out quickly :(.


Does anyone have any information on this situation yet?

Re: Flash player Mint 13 Mate Problem

Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:30 am
by bigj231
I usually use opera instead of firefox. No problems here. Not a fix, but a workaround.

Re: Flash player Mint 13 Mate Problem

Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:58 pm
by HAMOS
Just a system progress update

The system

Linux Mint 13 w/Mate
Firefox 19.0.2 < 20.0.0
Shockwave flash 11.2 r202 < 11.2.280
Both Totem and Gecko installed and everything up to date.


Still no luck

Re: Flash player Mint 13 Mate Problem

Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:04 pm
by braingateway
HAMOS wrote:
bigj231 wrote:Did you try the adobe flash in the repositories? Search for it in synaptic if you haven't already.
Also, the sites might not support the older version of flash. Chromium includes a pepper-API flash that works well in my experience.



I did try the repositories including mint-flash as well and all the combinations I could to no avail. The sites work with the older adobe flash because as I said, before the upgrade from mint 11 to mint 13 they worked with the same adobe flash version.


Please noticed the mint-flashplugin and the adobe-flashplugin are two different packages! The mint usually much older. You have to install the adobe-flashplugin, it will automatically remove mint-meta package.

apt-cache show mint-flashplugin
Package: mint-flashplugin
Version: 2011.10.19
$ apt-cache show mint-flashplugin-11
Package: mint-flashplugin-11
Version: 11.0.1.152

$ apt-cache show adobe-flashplugin
Package: adobe-flashplugin
Maintainer: DL-Flash Player Ubuntu <FlashPlayerUbuntu@adobe.com>
Version: 11.2.202.280-0precise1

Re: Flash player Mint 13 Mate Problem

Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:25 pm
by HAMOS
braingateway wrote:
HAMOS wrote:
bigj231 wrote:Did you try the adobe flash in the repositories? Search for it in synaptic if you haven't already.
Also, the sites might not support the older version of flash. Chromium includes a pepper-API flash that works well in my experience.



I did try the repositories including mint-flash as well and all the combinations I could to no avail. The sites work with the older adobe flash because as I said, before the upgrade from mint 11 to mint 13 they worked with the same adobe flash version.


Please noticed the mint-flashplugin and the adobe-flashplugin are two different packages! The mint usually much older. You have to install the adobe-flashplugin, it will automatically remove mint-meta package.

apt-cache show mint-flashplugin
Package: mint-flashplugin
Version: 2011.10.19
$ apt-cache show mint-flashplugin-11
Package: mint-flashplugin-11
Version: 11.0.1.152

$ apt-cache show adobe-flashplugin
Package: adobe-flashplugin
Maintainer: DL-Flash Player Ubuntu <FlashPlayerUbuntu@adobe.com>
Version: 11.2.202.280-0precise1



Ok so now that is set correctly. However, the few flash objects (or videos) that would not load before still won't load. Everything on this system is up to date and I can't think of any setting that I can modify to correct this problem. I'm still at stand still, I hope someone can help me figure this one out.

Re: Flash player Mint 13 Mate Problem

Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:59 pm
by palo
I have to say that I tried the link in Chrome and FF and it didn't look good. I also tried in Windows - same failures both w/FF and IE10 - actually looks like it is swarming with malware. You say it is working for you with Windows but not me???? I am having no problems with Flash otherwise.

Pat

Edit: FWIW I tried it again in Windows 30 min later and it worked in IE fairly quickly but only after a very long delay w/FF. Too many pauses to buffer though.

Re: Flash player Mint 13 Mate Problem

Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:12 am
by HAMOS
palo wrote:I have to say that I tried the link in Chrome and FF and it didn't look good. I also tried in Windows - same failures both w/FF and IE10 - actually looks like it is swarming with malware. You say it is working for you with Windows but not me???? I am having no problems with Flash otherwise.

Pat

Edit: FWIW I tried it again in Windows 30 min later and it worked in IE fairly quickly but only after a very long delay w/FF. Too many pauses to buffer though.



Yeah I've tried the food network personal recipe which is a flash object (don't know why they would make a flash program for viewing your personal recipes) on 3 seperate Windows computers. All had no problem and one was even using an outdated version of flash. And as within my first post when this computer ran Mint 11 all flash objects were working through firefox. So I don't understand how doing a fresh install to Mint 13 would break some flash objects.

The one difference I remember about the setup is that the old OS had flashaid for firefox. But since then it's been disabled.


Does anyone have a solution to this problem yet? Because the user is somewhat upset that this upgrade had handicapped her computer.

Re: Flash player Mint 13 Mate Problem

Posted: Tue May 14, 2013 3:39 pm
by visualise
apt-get install mint-flashplugin
apt-get install adobe-flashplugin

Done.

Back to Dr Who :)

Re: Flash player Mint 13 Mate Problem

Posted: Tue May 28, 2013 2:16 pm
by Liatodua
I followed this instructions: http://www.wikihow.com/Upgrade-Adobe-Fl ... Linux-Mint

Problem solved.

Re: Flash player Mint 13 Mate Problem

Posted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:34 pm
by RobertLM78
Liatodua wrote:I followed this instructions: http://www.wikihow.com/Upgrade-Adobe-Fl ... Linux-Mint

Problem solved.

Awesome, I'm going to have to give this a shot - my problem was I never knew where the files all went - now I do. Thanks for sharing Liatodua ! :D