replace config file

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
parths

replace config file

Post by parths »

Hi Guys, Linux mint does give me a feeling of 'a breath of fresh air'..

I just happened to move from another distro, won't name it (Clue: the new version ported with a horrible installation procedure..), and here's me posting for the first time :D

There are quite a few things i'd mention, just mention, cause some of them need me doing some research and not the reason for the post, primarily..
1) Underlying problems
I have a dual boot machine with win7 and usually a linux distro. After booting my machine the grub would give a message 'Welcome to Grub!' and then several failed messages like failed to boot initial ram disk and press any key to continue...or so.. Then the familiar Grub2 menu showed up allowing me to boot into one of the OSes..
My machine has a recovery partition which came with the laptop and a win7 partition on sda1 and sda2 resp. and selecting the sda2 didn't boot the machine instead gave an error, so i had to select the sda1 option, yes the recovery partition. So one fine day, hoping to solve this problem, from the admin tools in win7 i selected the storage management and made the sda2 partition active.

2) I broke my system
Big mistake. Without understanding the grub and booting process properly, i broke my system, and was greeted with the grub rescue> prompt..
I use my machine for development and had to find a way to get it back. Did some research from my phone and tried stuff including windows system repair (startup repair), booting off a usb stick into fedora and make the sda1 partition active again, but neither worked. I guess the order of doing that was important.

3) thanks for the good old live cd
So i had a ubuntu 10.04 lts live cd with me. Installed the OS, which installed grub on dev/sda (hell, earlier i was wondering where the hell is grub installed) and got my system back in working condition..This prompted me to leave the current linux distro and go back to good old ubuntu. Again hit the web and found about linux mint...

Here I am with my first question:

While updating the system i was greeted with this message
http://s15.postimg.org/81d2sdljf/Screen ... _29_32.png

what to do, i guess it says that the update is giving an older copy of the file, right?
Feels good to be here..only time will tell..
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: replace config file

Post by xenopeek »

Generally you would keep files in /etc, and not overwrite them.

Return to “Beginner Questions”