Mint xfce, Marlin, and Connecting to server password memory

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
steve.sansumwright
Level 1
Level 1

Mint xfce, Marlin, and Connecting to server password memory

Post by steve.sansumwright »

Hi Guys I have been a happy user of Mint Xfce for a few months now. However I have had just one small niggle since installing it. When I connect to my home server I am asked for the password every time even though I have ticked remember forever in the GUI. Its nothing major but after googling the issue I am not sure if It is something I have done, maybe because I installed nautilus and then Marlin. I have read elsewhere that this can cause conflicts and Im hoping this isnt the case.

So I must ask you gurus out there if there is anyway I can sort this out, if not I will just muddle on as its only a minor thing so far.

All the best, Minty Fresh

Steve

altair4
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Mint xfce, Marlin, and Connecting to server password mem

Post by altair4 »

The package that controls the keeping of this password ( seahorse ) seems to be broken in Mint. I have a work around but it ain't pretty:

The command that actually connects to and mounts the share in Thunar ( or Nautilus/Nemo/Whatever ) can be passed parameters:

Code: Select all

gvfs-mount smb://server/share < /home/your-user-name/creds 
/home/your-user-name/creds has the user name, workgroup, and password - one per line - for the share that you are connecting to. You can create a launcher with that command or point it to a script that will launch the mount command and open thunar.

So the procedure is something like this:

** Create the /home/your-user-name/creds file.

gedit /home/your-user-name/creds
** Add the credentials, for example:

altair
workgroup
altair-password
** Create the script, let's say something like this:

gedit /home/your-user-name/server-mount
** Add the following:

#! /bin/bash
thunar /run/user/your-user-name/gvfs
EDIT: If you are using an earlier version on mint the mount point is in another location so the script would look like this:

#! /bin/bash
thunar /home/your-user-name/.gvfs
** Make the script executable:

chmod +x /home/your-user-name/server-mount
Then create a launcher on your desktop and point it to that script.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

steve.sansumwright
Level 1
Level 1

Post by steve.sansumwright »

Thanks for your help, I really do appriciate it. Looking at what you have to go through to fix it I think I will just leave it as it is. Especially as Im not using thunar anyway. Maybe we will get it fixed in the near future :)

Thanks Again

Steve

altair4
Level 19
Level 19

Post by altair4 »

Understood, but the solution I offered has nothing to do with Thunar since the same script will work ( substituting the file manager to the appropriate app ) for Cinnamon ( nemo ), MATE ( caja ), or Gnome3 itself ( nautilus ).
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

Return to “Newbie Questions”