A few questions about Linux/Mint Cinnamon

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
GreenCandy
Level 1
Level 1

A few questions about Linux/Mint Cinnamon

Post by GreenCandy »

Hi, Ive been using Mint happily for about a week now (had a few connection issues, but resolved with a fresh install)

Ive got a few questions about the O/S/MINT that im having trouble finding clear answers from searching the web n hopefully someone will be able to help >

1 > Is the Sudo command in the terminal the equivilent to Run in Dos?

2 > What is the Cntl/alt/del equivalent?

3 > Do i ever need to defrag the system?

4 > Is there a Network Meter i can run on the panel (like du meter would on the task bar in windows) I found a recommended program called Knemo in the Software manager, but when i tried to install it, it wouldnt, Will it run on Cinnamon?

5 > I used to use CCcleaner on windows to completely delete recent files/history/unwanted space from hd, is there an equivalent for Linux/Cinnamon, do i need to even worry about this?

6 > I installed a game accidentally from a Ubuntu section, (it works fine) is this ok since mint is built off Ubuntu or could it cause issue? (zero-k was the game)

7 > Sometimes if i just restart the computer the wireless connection is not working, do you have to turn the computer completely off to makes sure all hardware is initialised correctly or is just a little bug in mint atm?

Thanks in advance :)
sjmcc
Level 1
Level 1

Re: A few questions about Linux/Mint Cinnamon

Post by sjmcc »

I can help with a couple of these. Fairly new to linux but have been using it as my main os for about 8 months, so here goes:

1 > The sudo command in terminal is like running things as an administrator in windows. That's why is asks for your password when you use it. Not sure if it's technically correct but I think of it as "superuser do"
2 > There is a system monitor application in the menu which is like the task manager in windows. Can't be more help on this one.
3 > Look at the stickies at the top of this section of the forum. There is a thread there about defrag and anti-virus. Should tell you everything you need to know.
4 > If you are running Cinnamon look here : http://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/applets there are some panel applets that should do what you want or you can look at something like conky if you really want to have some fun.
5 > There is an app like this but I can't remember the name of it. Have seen it recommended a few times. Will post back if I remember the name
6 > Should be fine.
7 > Can't help with this because I have never had this problem. Maybe do a search for your particular network card and linux. I have found this to be the best way to find solutions to particular hardware issues.

Hope that helps at least a little.
Scene
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Scene »

GreenCandy wrote:Hi, Ive been using Mint happily for about a week now (had a few connection issues, but resolved with a fresh install)
5 > I used to use CCcleaner on windows to completely delete recent files/history/unwanted space from hd, is there an equivalent for Linux/Cinnamon, do i need to even worry about this?
Thanks in advance :)
sjmcc wrote: 5 > There is an app like this but I can't remember the name of it. Have seen it recommended a few times. Will post back if I remember the name
Bleachbit performs a similar function as Ccleaner does.

Description from their site:
BleachBit quickly frees disk space and tirelessly guards your privacy. Free cache, delete cookies, clear Internet history, shred temporary files, delete logs, and discard junk you didn't know was there. Designed for Linux and Windows systems, it wipes clean a thousand applications including Firefox, Internet Explorer, Adobe Flash, Google Chrome, Opera, Safari,and more. Beyond simply deleting files, BleachBit includes advanced features such as shredding files to prevent recovery, wiping free disk space to hide traces of files deleted by other applications, and vacuuming Firefox to make it faster. Better than free, BleachBit is open source.
You can install Bleachbit from synaptic or by going to a terminal screen and enter the following command:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install bleachbit
Or you can grab the latest version from their website mentioned above :)
Linux Mint 17.3 'Rafaela' Cinnamon x64
mintymintminty
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mintymintminty »

I strongly suggest you steer clear of Bleachbit unless you know what you are doing.
GreenCandy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by GreenCandy »

It certainly does sjmcc, n thank for the easy to understand responce :)

mintymintminty, can i ask what u mean when u say stay away from Bleachbit, im am a noob with the Linux O/S, but knew what i was doing with CCleaner(in windows) can u elaborate & if possible maybe suggest another program that is more suited to newbie`s such as myself :)
mintymintminty
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mintymintminty »

Linux hardly experiences any pollution. So cleaning is superfluous. Should you wish to clean up a bit anyway, then this Is a safe way....https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... ject/clean and also there Is no need for defrag in Linux. Linux Isnt windows.
DrHu
Level 17
Level 17

Post by DrHu »

I use bleachbit to erase cruft, and I find it fine; the list of files it is cleaning is shown and all you need to do is find out what they are/contain (system or user data)
http://bleachbit.sourceforge.net/
--you have the option of running as the root (admin user) or user: which won't erase any system directory areas (or files)

Any search on Linux FHS will help you determine what is isn't being removed and how safe you feel about that process
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filesyste ... y_Standard
--Linux distributions do sometimes change this a little for their own purposes, for example RedHat (Fedora) did this to accommodate their own file & directory arrangements.
homerscousin
Level 5
Level 5

Post by homerscousin »

Just a word about Bleachbit. I use it. I have 2 icons in my start menu. 1 as normal user. 2 as root. I always start with the user program and do analyze first. If things look normal to my limited knowledge, I run it. That deletes quite a bit. Some things won't delete. You'll see a lot of error messages. You need the root version for the leftovers. I know the root version requires more caution and I do scan the list, but I don't really know the full impact of every item. I have to trust Bleachbit. Unless I see something very puzzling, I just run it. I haven't had a problem in the 6+ months since I first installed the program. And, as for my system, there are just as many if not more junk files accumulated as in Windows.
i5 3570k, ASRock z77 Extreme 4, 8 Gb Ripjaws 1600, Antec 430w psu, HVR 1600 tv tuner, custom case- marble top, oak face. Carver & DCM Time Window sound system. Mint 14 KDE.

Return to “Newbie Questions”