How to remove Samba/SMB and related services safely

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
velky_pivo
Level 2
Level 2

How to remove Samba/SMB and related services safely

Post by velky_pivo » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:42 pm

First of all, is there a benefit to removal of this if you don't need it (bootup speedup, security etc.) ?

I do not want to do any file or printer sharing over network, so I would like to remove Samba, smb etc.

I do need wireless, and perhaps netbios (not sure) to connect to internet.

When I removed following packages, it messed up my Mate desktop settings, and I had to reinstall Mate to fix this.

samba, python-smbc, libwbclient0, samba-common, samba-common-bin

Is there a specific procedure for Mint to do this safely, which packages/dependencies need to be kept/removed ?

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: How to remove Samba/SMB and related services safely

Post by xenopeek » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:06 pm

MATE has integrated file sharing functionality, for which it needs these packages. You may however disable the Samba services I think. To do so, run these commands:

Code: Select all

sudo stop nmbd
echo manual | sudo tee -a /etc/init/nmbd.override

sudo stop smbd
echo manual | sudo tee -a /etc/init/smbd.override
The first command stops the service currently running, until next reboot. The second command changes the configuration so that it won't be started upon next reboot. So Samba won't be running.

Return to “Newbie Questions”