Looking for Light weight Linux for my old PC !! ??

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
navdeep_singh
Level 1
Level 1

Looking for Light weight Linux for my old PC !! ??

Post by navdeep_singh »

Hello friends,
I'm looking for a light weight Linux for my old desktop PC having config
RAM= 512 MB
CPU= Intel P4 2.4 GHz
HD= 80 GB

Any suggestions will be helpful ???
i already have tried lubuntu, kind of looking alternate for it in Linux mint !!! But didn't find any latest & LTS release with LXDE in Linux Mint !!!! :shock: :shock:
Just a knowledge seeker !!!
kc1di
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Looking for Light weight Linux for my old PC !! ??

Post by kc1di »

mint is not producing an lxde version at the moment :( sorry, you may want to try LXLE it's a non- official lxde version of lubuntu that is long term support.
That's if lubuntu worked for you ok. I have a similar machine as yours but much bigger H.D. 80 gigs isn't much space today. and lxle works fine on it you can find it here. http://www.lxle.net/index.php?showimage=10 other than that I'd look at puppy. That would certainly work on your system.
Also give mint XFCE a try it may work , but would imagine it would be a bit slower than lxde. if you get xfce up and running you can always install lxde desktop from synaptic also. just some Ideas to try.
Good Luck :)
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
RC Da Kookee
Level 1
Level 1

Post by RC Da Kookee »

Debian (As Debian based distro Crunchbang is very good with great community but antiX will fly like angry bird on your hardware) will run on anything with light WM and/or DE. I'd still go with pure Debian.
SLAX might be good. I'd say Fuduntu but it's supported for only next 8 months.
Bodhi linux if you can stand E17. wattOS is not bad.
Oh yeah, Peppermint OS is another great option.
Pierre
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Pierre »

try anti-X v12 - it's quite lightweight

http://antix.mepis.org/index.php?title= ... #Downloads
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
JWJones
Level 2
Level 2

Post by JWJones »

Puppy Linux is great for a full-featured lightweight distro, and LxPup derived from it is particularly nice:

http://www.puppylinux.com/

http://lxpup.weebly.com/
RC Da Kookee
Level 1
Level 1

Post by RC Da Kookee »

Well, it can certainly go even better than Puppy; much better. Like minimal Debian ( www.debian.org/distrib/netinst ) and then building your own OS with exactly those packages you need.
JWJones
Level 2
Level 2

Post by JWJones »

RC Da Kookee wrote:Well, it can certainly go even better than Puppy; much better. Like minimal Debian ( http://www.debian.org/distrib/netinst ) and then building your own OS with exactly those packages you need.
That's what I would do, but I was assuming a certain comfort level from the OP based on his post. While I find it easy to build a custom Debian system with Openbox and tint2 panel, for example, they may not be there, yet.

Speaking of which, Crunchbang is another good option:

http://crunchbang.org/
navdeep_singh
Level 1
Level 1

Post by navdeep_singh »

Thanks , Everybody .

All opinions will really helpful.. But will always be open for new opinions
:D :D !

Thanks a lot !!
mbemboom
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mbemboom »

Crunchbang Linux. I have been using it on several computers and it runs very well out of the box. It uses the Openbox WM and is fairly lighweight.
RC Da Kookee
Level 1
Level 1

Post by RC Da Kookee »

New Xubuntu 13.04 is damn fast and stable. Fans runs calmer than Debian based systems on 3.2.x kernels. But I still prefer Debian based over anything that's Ubuntu based.
HelloWorld78
Level 1
Level 1

Post by HelloWorld78 »

RC Da Kookee wrote:Debian (As Debian based distro Crunchbang is very good with great community but antiX will fly like angry bird on your hardware) will run on anything with light WM and/or DE. I'd still go with pure Debian.
SLAX might be good. I'd say Fuduntu but it's supported for only next 8 months.
Bodhi linux if you can stand E17. wattOS is not bad.
Oh yeah, Peppermint OS is another great option.
peppermint is terrible. it has an awful long way to go.

i am tired of seeing more variants of ubuntu out there.
jgradyc
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jgradyc »

Since you're looking for options, have you tried Linux Mint 14 Cinnamon? How can you know it's slow until you try it? (Note: I'm a newbie, too, but the only way to find out is to test it.) I tried Puppy and it was too basic for me.

Also, have you priced RAM on eBay? You could probably boost your RAM to 2GB for $20 or to 1GB for less than $10. I've been told that 1GB is enough for Linux Mint 14. You probably have enough RAM, but since old RAM is dirt cheap, why not add a stick?
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

Installing LXDE on top of any Mint edition it's a good solution and gives you the opportunity to improve your skills. Another option is to start with Lubuntu 12.04/12.10/13.04 or Debian 7 LXDE and make it look and feel more like Mint.
FireSoul
Level 3
Level 3

Post by FireSoul »

navdeep_singh wrote:Hello friends,
I'm looking for a light weight Linux for my old desktop PC having config
RAM= 512 MB
CPU= Intel P4 2.4 GHz
HD= 80 GB

Any suggestions will be helpful ???
i already have tried lubuntu, kind of looking alternate for it in Linux mint !!! But didn't find any latest & LTS release with LXDE in Linux Mint !!!! :shock: :shock:
Hello.

You got lot of good a lot of good suggestions, i have been testing some of them.
Mint 12 works well on your computer too, do you want fast, use for movies look?
XFCE is light and can use many way.
Puppy really fast, but limited.
There somebody said test with live DVD and use with it what you want use,it's my choice for those distros.

Nice time for you with Mint. ;)
navdeep_singh
Level 1
Level 1

Post by navdeep_singh »

nunol wrote:Installing LXDE on top of any Mint edition it's a good solution and gives you the opportunity to improve your skills. Another option is to start with Lubuntu 12.04/12.10/13.04 or Debian 7 LXDE and make it look and feel more like Mint.
I tried to install these distros on my desktop. But i didn't even finish m installation with Ubuntu (bcz my computer got freeze). on the other hand linux mint did what we can say something better. Completed installation but lags on speed & perfomance. I'm not blaming any of distros may be one of my RAM (yes i have two RAMs on my Dtop both are 256 MB) may be got damaged & it's providing only it's memory for operations but at very low speed. Also i'm not a tech geek but think i got that right :D :D Didn't i ??

However talking about other lightweight linux distros. I have prepared a list with my little experience in field of linux.
!. AntiX :- Yes if you are looking for a light weight distro, that would be antiX. you can run it even with 128MB RAM (i don't have less that that but if i had i think that antix can run on that low memory smoothly).
2. Bodhi linux:- Good GUI, (i love that GUI) Runs smoothly on 128 MB RAM.
3. Crunchbag linux
4. Peppermint
5. Watt OS

So for the time top 2 in my list are best for me. But i'm not a good judge (on the basis of my Tech skillz :lol: )
Plus i put my Dtop for websurfing use only." i don't think for that i need up to date or bleeding edge technology or any LTS version. But not in my case maybe other people out there who don't have technical knowledge are in need to perform some tasks on their P3 computers with low memory(mostly orphanages got that old Dtops)." (uuuuuh that sounded like background voice from any super hero movie just kidding).

thanks everybody. :lol: :D
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

Bodhi or Peppermint
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running mostly LM19C and a little LM20C.

Image Image Image
navdeep_singh
Level 1
Level 1

Post by navdeep_singh »

Reorx wrote:Bodhi or Peppermint
My choice will be Bodhi over pepermint.
The rest depends on you how you judge what is best for you!!! 8) :D
Habitual
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Habitual »

http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=slitaz
LinWinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by LinWinux »

RC Da Kookee wrote:New Xubuntu 13.04 is damn fast and stable. Fans runs calmer than Debian based systems on 3.2.x kernels. But I still prefer Debian based over anything that's Ubuntu based.
Hmmm, *buntu is actually based on Debian. So are most if not all other *buntus.

I do agree 100% with Xubuntu since XFCE has always been one of my favorite Linux distros for years. I'm running Xubuntu 11.10 on an old 1.6 Ghz. laptop of mine on which I upgraded to 2 GB of Ram and can't complain. Just make sure that you stay away from anything that chews up lots of your cpu resources such as compiz for 3D desktop effects. Also, if you like LibreOffice or OpenOffice then you won't have those installed by default with XFCE because of the resource issues. However, Xubuntu installs Gnumerix (spreadsheets) and Abiword (word processing) by default which will more than likely suit you just fine.

PLEASE ... Don't respond to questions with meaningless or thoughtless comments!
PLEASE ... Help others, don't be lazy! Take a moment to mark your post SOLVED if you received a solution.
LinWinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by LinWinux »

jgradyc wrote:Since you're looking for options, have you tried Linux Mint 14 Cinnamon? How can you know it's slow until you try it? (Note: I'm a newbie, too, but the only way to find out is to test it.) I tried Puppy and it was too basic for me.

Also, have you priced RAM on eBay? You could probably boost your RAM to 2GB for $20 or to 1GB for less than $10. I've been told that 1GB is enough for Linux Mint 14. You probably have enough RAM, but since old RAM is dirt cheap, why not add a stick?
Well, I tried Cinnamon for a couple of weeks and learned to seriously dislike it, and yes, of course it chews up a lot more resources than any distro that's specifically meant to be fast on older computers. As far as the ram is concerned, the cost of that depends on numerous factors, especially if your older laptop uses sodimms. My older D600 could not use the standard $10 sticks from eBay that are available everywhere. In my cases I needed a very specific, proprietary sodimm which was only available from 2 sellers, starting price of $34.95 each for 1 GB, plus shipping.

Once again back to the OS recomendation ... if you're pretty new to Linux and already used to Windoze, I'd seriously suggest trying out the 32bit version of Xubuntu 12.04 LTS since it should be rock solid stable by now. On the other hand, if you're comfortable with a bit higher of a difficulty level, maybe the need to use that terminal on a somewhat regular basis, then I would agree that any of the 128 MB Ram versions of Linux are probably a good fit for you and that older computer.

PLEASE ... Don't respond to questions with meaningless or thoughtless comments!
PLEASE ... Help others, don't be lazy! Take a moment to mark your post SOLVED if you received a solution.

Return to “Newbie Questions”