Triple Boot Install

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
cycler2
Level 1
Level 1

Triple Boot Install

Post by cycler2 »

I want to install Mint 14 on my Windows 7 and 8 dual boot computer. Both Windows systems are installed on separate partitions of an SSD, which is too full to accommodate Mint, but I have an installed hard drive with plenty of space and want to install Mint on an empty one Gig partition on this drive (which Gparted identifies as sda2). The install dialogue "sees" only the Windows 8 system and gives three options: Install alongside Windows 8, replace Windows 8 or "something else," which get me to manual partitioning. Can't use the first two options for guided install and I'm too new to Linux to try manual partitioning. Any ideas about how to get a "guided" install with this setup?
Thanks in advance for your help.
Rich
nerdtron
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Triple Boot Install

Post by nerdtron »

cycler2 wrote: and want to install Mint on an empty one Gig partition on this drive (which Gparted identifies as sda2). The install dialogue "sees" only the Windows 8 system and gives three options: Install alongside Windows 8, replace Windows 8 or "something else," which get me to manual partitioning.
Rich
Only one GIg for Linux Mint? I assume that is a typo because that is not enough to do a full install of Linux Mint.

Anyway, let's get your hands dirty and "do something else" because what we need here is the manual partitioner.
You'll see something like this in the manual partitioner http://www.linuxbsdos.com/wp-content/up ... 00x394.png

Since you said that /dev/sda2 is your partition allocated for Linux Mint, well focus on that.
First click it and choose Delete to make a free space or unallocated space.
We need to create two partitions for this, one that will be assinged as the root partition or / partition and the other one is the swap.

Click /dev/sda2 and click Add. (on this part, I'll assume that it is a 10GB partition)
After clicking Add, in the dialog box that appears:
enter the partition size as 9000 since this value is in MB
Use as Ext4 filesystem
Mount Point, choose /
It should look something like this http://www.linuxbsdos.com/wp-content/up ... 00x294.png
Click OK

Now another partition will be created for the remaining 1000 MB.
Click that partition and hit Add again.
enter the partition size as 1000
Use as Swap area
It should look something like this http://www.linuxbsdos.com/wp-content/up ... 00x294.png
Click OK

Now back on the main partitioning screen again. Look at the bottom part,
"Device for boot loader installation" choose /dev/sda or your main harddrive partition to make sure that grub will handle all bootable OS in your system.

Click again the partition you assigned as the / partition and click Install Now. Now let the installer do its thing and everything should be OK upon reboot.

If for some reasons, you boot is messed up or won't boot at all, don't worry. You OSes and data partitions are still there. See this link and read about the 2nd option https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair
Basically you just boot into Live mode and use boot-repair to restore your bootloader.

Sidenote: Although I have tried this method a lot of times (and its relatively safe), you still have a chance to ruin all your partitions if you are not careful so be sure to have a backup of all your important data.
Goodluck and keep us posted on your progress.
"I learned a lot from repeatedly breaking my system and then reinstalling. Oh, and a lot of GOOGLE searches too!"
pfeiffep
Level 2
Level 2

Post by pfeiffep »

but I have an installed hard drive with plenty of space and want to install Mint on an empty one Gig partition on this drive (which Gparted identifies as sda2).
This is probably NOT the new drive you installed! Look in the upper left of gparted for a small arrow and choose /dev/sdb (I'm guessing this is your newly installed drive)

What nerdtron posts is accurate ... there's an alternative to installing grub2 on /dev/sda (your Windows sdd). You can install grub2 on /dev/sdb and choose in BIOS to boot the second hard drive. On my installation If I do boot to my second hard drive via bios, grub2's os prober correctly identifies all 3 OSes.
HP Tower | Intel iCore 7 3.2Ghz | 12 Gb mem | SDD Win7 | HDD Ubuntu 13.04 & Mint 14 Cinnamon | USB HDD Ubuntu 13.10
Dell laptop | Intel celeron 1.5 Ghz | 2 Gb mem | HDD Ubuntu 13.04 | USB HDD Mint 14

Regards, Pete
cycler2
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cycler2 »

Nerdtron and Pete,
Thank you both very much for your replies. Neretron--you have given me the courage (and knowledge) to try a manual partition. You were correct; I have a 1 Terabyte partition available for Mint, which I will partition. I have backed up the hard drive to which I will install Mint. Keep your fingers crossed!
Your helpful replies illustrate the welcoming and patient nature of the Linux community. Thanks again.
Rich
cycler2
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cycler2 »

Success! With Nerdtron's detailed guidance I installed Mint using manual partitioning . No problems, nobody died :) Thanks, again, Nerdtron.
Rich
cycler2
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cycler2 »

Success! With Nerdtron's detailed guidance I installed Mint using manual partitioning . No problems, nobody died :) Thanks, again, Nerdtron.
Rich

Return to “Newbie Questions”