<SOLVED> Password Prompt

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
pfeiffep
Level 2
Level 2

<SOLVED> Password Prompt

Post by pfeiffep »

I'm wondering how to set up Mint 14 so that my userid is pre-populated, but password needs to be entered. Because this is an old system I'm using classic gnome no effects!

I successfully, using 'login window, changed from entering both to entering neither, but now when I boot, I'm not prompted for either and upon launching Chromium I'm prompted for keyring password - once entered all is fine!

Bottom line I'd like to be prompted for password not userid since this is a single user system!

TIA

Regards, Pete
Last edited by pfeiffep on Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
HP Tower | Intel iCore 7 3.2Ghz | 12 Gb mem | SDD Win7 | HDD Ubuntu 13.04 & Mint 14 Cinnamon | USB HDD Ubuntu 13.10
Dell laptop | Intel celeron 1.5 Ghz | 2 Gb mem | HDD Ubuntu 13.04 | USB HDD Mint 14

Regards, Pete
pfeiffep
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Password Prompt

Post by pfeiffep »

I am really surprised :roll: that I'm unable to find a solution to this as populating userid is the default condition in both Ubuntu 12.10 & 13.04.

This doesn't stop me from any testing or evaluation, just a minor annoyance since if I chose to autologin I still have to enter my password in keyring and I'd rather enter at login!
HP Tower | Intel iCore 7 3.2Ghz | 12 Gb mem | SDD Win7 | HDD Ubuntu 13.04 & Mint 14 Cinnamon | USB HDD Ubuntu 13.10
Dell laptop | Intel celeron 1.5 Ghz | 2 Gb mem | HDD Ubuntu 13.04 | USB HDD Mint 14

Regards, Pete
Acid_1
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Acid_1 »

This should set you straight

How to remove Ubuntu keyring

Basically...
  • 1) Go click Applications > Accessories > Passwords and Encryption keys
    2) The should be entries there listing an array of keyring password.
    3) Right click on them and select change password
    4) Enter the old password if you have one then leave the new password blank. (A warning message should appear)
pfeiffep
Level 2
Level 2

Post by pfeiffep »

Thanks, I have seen and tried that. It certainly works, but that's not the behavior I want.

In a list form this is the desired behavior:
1 - be prompted for login with my userid populated
2 - enter my password
3 - launch Chromium without being prompted for keyring password

It seems that #1 is not easily achieved - this is the default in my 3 installations of Ubuntu

Regards, Pete
pfeiffep
Level 2
Level 2

Post by pfeiffep »

The closest I've come to duplicating the Ubuntu behavior is the change the 'Login Window' Local tab to Simple UserList :) . This populates my userid - I click on this id and then type my password.

I'm curious :?: as to why the difference in behavoir from Ubuntu ## (gnome session fallback) and Mint 14, Cinnamon (gnome classic no effects)

Regards, Pete

Return to “Newbie Questions”