incorrect installation

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
duncan222
Level 3
Level 3

incorrect installation

Post by duncan222 »

whilst setting up a dual boot installation I realised I had used a much older version of mint rather than the one I wanted to install (Mint 14) on installing that I have ended up with 1 partition for Windows 50% but the installation has split my 2 linux installation into 2 further partitions at 25% each.
Is there any way I can delete the incorrect mint installation ? If so exactly how would I go about it and how would I identify which was the partition to delete as files listed using clonezilla do not actually identify the name of the operation system in the partition, ok I guess ntfs is Windows stuff but what about all the other lines shown which no doubt mean a lot to those who understand linux but not me.

Thanks
pfeiffep
Level 2
Level 2

Re: incorrect installation

Post by pfeiffep »

Boot from a live dvd or usb stick with the Mint version desired, launch gparted form live installation, delete undesired partitions.

gparted should identify the 'formatting' of each partition to aid you in this decision

This is how gparted displays my Linux only partitions.
gparted.png
HP Tower | Intel iCore 7 3.2Ghz | 12 Gb mem | SDD Win7 | HDD Ubuntu 13.04 & Mint 14 Cinnamon | USB HDD Ubuntu 13.10
Dell laptop | Intel celeron 1.5 Ghz | 2 Gb mem | HDD Ubuntu 13.04 | USB HDD Mint 14

Regards, Pete
duncan222
Level 3
Level 3

Post by duncan222 »

This is the bit I am stuck on, I Don't know what ext4/dev/sda and all the rest mean. How do I know which is the part or parts I wish to delete ?
I Guess I keep the boot file and any ntfs files but how do i know which line refers to the mint 14 file and the line that refers to the incorrect mint file ?

Thanks

PS sorry if I have misunderstood something.
pfeiffep
Level 2
Level 2

Post by pfeiffep »

duncan222 wrote:This is the bit I am stuck on, I Don't know what ext4/dev/sda and all the rest mean. How do I know which is the part or parts I wish to delete ?
I Guess I keep the boot file and any ntfs files but how do i know which line refers to the mint 14 file and the line that refers to the incorrect mint file ?

Thanks

PS sorry if I have misunderstood something.
Sorry if I confused you. The ext4 partitions on my example are Linux partitions, you should be able to identify your partitions - look for ntfs - those will be windows.

Linux doesn't identify drives with letters as does Win. /dev/sda is the first drive in your system; /dev/sdb is the second drive in your system. Read more here http://gparted.sourceforge.net/display- ... elp-manual

Please post a screen shot of gparted for both your drives.
HP Tower | Intel iCore 7 3.2Ghz | 12 Gb mem | SDD Win7 | HDD Ubuntu 13.04 & Mint 14 Cinnamon | USB HDD Ubuntu 13.10
Dell laptop | Intel celeron 1.5 Ghz | 2 Gb mem | HDD Ubuntu 13.04 | USB HDD Mint 14

Regards, Pete
duncan222
Level 3
Level 3

Post by duncan222 »

Many thanks for your help and your PM.
As I understand it Mint 15 is out at the end of May/early June so it might be easier to leave things as they are until then, wipe my drive and start from scratch.
As it's a recent installation there is nothing on my hard drive that I need to keep, anything important has been moved to an external hard drive.

Return to “Newbie Questions”