BOOT MANAGER

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
whispers
Level 2
Level 2

BOOT MANAGER

Post by whispers »

I have win7 - mint.13 - ubuntu 13.04 on seperate hard drives and have been swaping leads to load what I want , I would like a boot loader so I could leave them all plugged in and just select what i want from a menu . what is a good boot loader to use ???

THANKS FOR ANY HELP
LM 20 Ulyana , Cinnamon , Toshiba Satellite Pro C665 - 8GB - CORE 2 2381MHZ
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: BOOT MANAGER

Post by catweazel »

Grub will do it. You need to plug all the drives in and mount them. All that's necessary after that is:

Code: Select all

$sudo update-grub
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
whispers
Level 2
Level 2

Post by whispers »

catweazel wrote:Grub will do it. You need to plug all the drives in and mount them. All that's necessary after that is:

Code: Select all

$sudo update-grub
THANKS FOR THE REPLY, win7 is SATA 1 - mint is SATA2 - ubuntu is SATA 3 - so I am guessing that I would need a windows boot loader ?????

Thanks for your time
pfeiffep
Level 2
Level 2

Post by pfeiffep »

Grub2 should chain load your windows boot loader. Since your Win drive probably doesn't have Grub2 installed you'll probably have to choose in BIOS which drive boots Grub2, then follow what catweazel posted
HP Tower | Intel iCore 7 3.2Ghz | 12 Gb mem | SDD Win7 | HDD Ubuntu 13.04 & Mint 14 Cinnamon | USB HDD Ubuntu 13.10
Dell laptop | Intel celeron 1.5 Ghz | 2 Gb mem | HDD Ubuntu 13.04 | USB HDD Mint 14

Regards, Pete
whispers
Level 2
Level 2

Post by whispers »

THANKS GUYS FOR ALL YOUR HELP = I changed the leads so that MINT was the first SATA drive then run
[ $sudo update-grub ] and it found all the others , so all works well. SORRY I am a bit slow :-}

THANKS AGAIN :-} ken

Return to “Newbie Questions”