Dual Boot: Mate & Cinnamon??

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
curmudgeon2
Level 1
Level 1

Dual Boot: Mate & Cinnamon??

Post by curmudgeon2 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:41 pm

I've been using Mint 13 - Mate - since it's release, after having used UBUNTU for several years, and leaving it with the advent of Unity.

The operable term is "using". I'm not a developer, nor progam writer. I "use" Linux for its security and simplicity; and I use Mint specificly because it is "user" friendly, and very easily customized, relative to Unity. My primary uses are limited to on-line bill paying, investment management, purchases, research, and email.

After reading about the popularity of Cinnamon, I decided to try it, but didn't want to uninstall Mate, so I installed it along side and imported all of my Mate settings and files. However, my HD always boots up with Mate, and I can't find a way to boot into Cinnamon. With UBUNTU, one could log out of one desktop and into another; but that doesn't seem to be possible with Mint. Any suggestions would be welcome.

I have a 500GB HD and I have the 32bit versions installed.

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Dual Boot: Mate & Cinnamon??

Post by xenopeek » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:41 pm

When you say "dual boot", I imagine you downloaded the Linux Mint Cinnamon ISO and installed that as a separate operating system on your hard disk. Is that what you did? Then yes, there is no way to switch which desktop you use other than by rebooting and at the GRUB boot menu selecting to boot the other operating system.

When you describe being able to log out and switch which desktop you used on Ubuntu, is that what you did? Did you install Cinnamon as an additional desktop on your Linux Mint MATE installation? In that case you can switch which desktop you use at the login screen, just as you can on Ubuntu. But if you installed two different operating systems, then no you can't switch which of the two operating systems you use while you are at the login screen of either one.

With you detailing which of these two you meant, perhaps we can help further :)

curmudgeon2
Level 1
Level 1

Post by curmudgeon2 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:52 pm

When you say "dual boot", I imagine you downloaded the Linux Mint Cinnamon ISO and installed that as a separate operating system on your hard disk. Is that what you did?
Yes, that is exactly what I did. What is the easiest way to correct my error? I have no problem uninstalling if need be.

I really appreciate the quick response given to my Q.

Terry

pfeiffep
Level 2
Level 2

Post by pfeiffep » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:03 pm

curmudgeon2 wrote:
When you say "dual boot", I imagine you downloaded the Linux Mint Cinnamon ISO and installed that as a separate operating system on your hard disk. Is that what you did?
Yes, that is exactly what I did. What is the easiest way to correct my error? I have no problem uninstalling if need be.

I really appreciate the quick response given to my Q.

Terry
Immediately after bios post messages appear depress and hold the shift key ... read more here http://askubuntu.com/questions/24586/ho ... u-in-grub2
HP Tower | Intel iCore 7 3.2Ghz | 12 Gb mem | SDD Win7 | HDD Ubuntu 13.04 & Mint 14 Cinnamon | USB HDD Ubuntu 13.10
Dell laptop | Intel celeron 1.5 Ghz | 2 Gb mem | HDD Ubuntu 13.04 | USB HDD Mint 14

Regards, Pete

curmudgeon2
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED]Re: Dual Boot: Mate & Cinnamon??

Post by curmudgeon2 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:51 pm

Thanks for the info, Pete.

Terry

Return to “Newbie Questions”