Problems with folder links on fstab mounted partitions

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Problems with folder links on fstab mounted partitions

Post by NiksaVel »

Hi,

I've recently upgraded my "server" with an additional disk and reorganised some directories in the "shared directory" so that they are actually shortcuts to the folders on the new large hdd...

The problem that arose is that on my "client" computers who automount the "shared" directory via fstab on boot (either NFS or SMB - I get same results) - I get the normal directory listing, but the "shortcut" directories display as couple of bytes large unknown file with no extension which I have no permissions to view...

If I mount the share manually I get everything working normally. The same folder gets mounted on some windows computers and works with no prob.

Anyone know how to get around this?

thanks...
Windows is extremely fast after a fresh install. If you want to make it stay that way: - don't use it.
-Clem

NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Problems with folder links on fstab mounted partitions

Post by NiksaVel »

Konqueror correctly indentifies the files as simlinks... but they dont point anywhere - I believe they are pointing to the same place that they're pointing on the server comp, but that place does not exist on the client... :/ i.e. /media/sda1/tools
Windows is extremely fast after a fresh install. If you want to make it stay that way: - don't use it.
-Clem

Husse
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Husse »

I am not sure but I think you can't mount a shortcut and as a result have what ever it's pointing at mounted - you need to mount what it's pointing at directly (and that of course has to be a partition)
Can't be much harder, or do I miss something?
Haven't seen you in a while NiksaVel...
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it

NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Post by NiksaVel »

Haven't seen you in a while NiksaVel...
hehe... I'm still around.. but much to busy with day-to-day jobs to hang around as much...

What is really bugging me here is that I can access the share manually and everything works fine... it's the same principle so why doesn't it work with fstab mounting.... ??! Any why does it work properly with windows map drive option?

Something's real strange here...
-Clem

Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Fred »

In Linux you can not mount a link. You can only mount a partition. You can follow a link to a folder that is bound to a partition however. If you can't follow a link that is actually on another system, it is usually because the folder it is pointing to isn't defined or accessible on your machine.

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.

NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Post by NiksaVel »

ahem... maybe I shold've been clearer

I have mounted a partition... on this partition there are links which are not accessible on the client machine

BUT only if the partition is mounted via fstab - if I access the shared folder via a smb:/xxxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/shared than everything works fine.
-Clem

Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Fred »

NiksaVel,

When you mount a partition, whether through fstab or with the manual cli "sudo mount -a sdxx" command you have only your permissions in that partition. When you mount it through samba you take on the shared permissions of the partition and can follow links just as if you were on that machine.

It seems like a minor difference but, as you can see, for some operations it is the difference between working and not working.

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.

NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Post by NiksaVel »

thanks for the explanation... do you think maybe there is some way around this? So that the simlinks start working for me with a regular fstab mount...

Is it perhaps possible to make some kind of a partition-2-partition mount to mimic the effect of the directory simlink?
-Clem

Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Fred »

NiksaVel,

I am almost positive you can configure samba to automatically mount a share on startup with a profile, but I am not sure enough of the process to be able to tell you how to do it. I will only confuse both of us further. :-)

Hopefully AvanceIT, or one of the other samba experts will notice this and show you the way. You might try PMing him. He is a very nice guy and quite knowledgeable.

Fred

Return to “Newbie Questions”