Flash player installation

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
whs
Level 2
Level 2

Flash player installation

Post by whs »

I have tried all options of the Software Manager to install the latest Flash Player on my Mint Mate 64bit - but nothing works.

I would appreciate some instructions on how to install the Flash Player. There are so many versions/options - it is very confusing.
nomko

Re: Flash player installation

Post by nomko »

Adobe stopped the developement of new Flash releases for Linux. They only maintain security updates. So, the version you find in software manager (or even better Synaptic) is in fact the latest version available. If you want ot be sure, install the Adobe Flashplugin.

If you encounter problems with websites running flash stuff you might consider using Google Chrome (not Chromium!) which has a Flash player onboard.
whs
Level 2
Level 2

Post by whs »

Thanks for the answer. I'll get chrome.
sarahemorell
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sarahemorell »

I have to agree with using Chrome with built in flash player. It saves you the download time.
"Each person must live their life as a model for others." steve barbarich
nomko

Post by nomko »

sarahemorell wrote:I have to agree with using Chrome with built in flash player. It saves you the download time.
Which download time?
Scott65
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Scott65 »

nomko

Post by nomko »

Ofcourse that worked for you, but you forget 1 thing: it is really the latest release! There will no newer releases made for Linux in general. Linux versions of Adobe Flash will only receive security updates and nothing more. So you can still install the official latest Adobe Flash release and use it, but within a few months it is outdated and a high security risk for your system. Adobe will only release a security update when there's a reason for it, i.e.: security leak in Flash.

Google Chrome comes with a built-in Flash player. I'm using Chrome now in favour of FF who uses the Flash player installed by the system.

Return to “Newbie Questions”