Customize multiple panels

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
thomas.raines
Level 2
Level 2

Customize multiple panels

Post by thomas.raines »

I want to have multiple panels, but when I choose top and bottom, my bottom panel becomes the top panel. This, I do not want. I want my bottom panle to remain on the bottom and make the top panel my secondary.
I tried using panel edit mode, then dragging the applets from the top to the bottom, but I was not able to move jupiter and mintinstall. I tried to just add them to the bottom panel, but they were not in the spot I desired and again, I was unable to move them. Some time ago, I found an article that said you can just edit the config file and switch the 2 (rename top panel to bottom panel etc...) but have had no luck in finding that config file. Unfortunately, I cannot find the article either to reference it.

So, other than rebuilding the panel all together, does anyone have any clue on how to help?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Customize multiple panels

Post by Spearmint2 »

what panels?
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
thomas.raines
Level 2
Level 2

Post by thomas.raines »

Spearmint2 wrote:what panels?
In windows it is known as the taskbar.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

Did you choose "New Panel" instead of "Add to Panel"? I did and was able to make a completely different panel at the top.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
thomas.raines
Level 2
Level 2

Post by thomas.raines »

Spearmint2 wrote:Did you choose "New Panel" instead of "Add to Panel"? I did and was able to make a completely different panel at the top.
I don't have a "new panel" option anywhere. I'm guessing that you are refering to when you right click on an item in the menu and it gives you the "add to panel" option.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

No, I right clked on the existing bottom panel and choose to create a new panel and put it at the top, then added different links to it, just to show the new panel wasn't just a copy of the original.
thomas.raines
Level 2
Level 2

Post by thomas.raines »

Spearmint2 wrote:No, I right clked on the existing bottom panel and choose to create a new panel and put it at the top, then added different links to it, just to show the new panel wasn't just a copy of the original.
Nope, still don't have that option. Did you add an extended settings or something. I'm on Mint 14 if that makes a difference...
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

Using Mint 14 myself. I didn't add any extended options, just what came with the distro originally.
thomas.raines
Level 2
Level 2

Post by thomas.raines »

Spearmint2 wrote:Using Mint 14 myself. I didn't add any extended options, just what came with the distro originally.
I don't have that option when I right click on the panel. Instead it brings up the cinnamon settings applet menu.
I think the difference is that I'm using cinnamon desktop.
thomas.raines
Level 2
Level 2

Post by thomas.raines »

So, recently I had to wipe my hard drive and reinstall mint. When I restored my stuff, my double panels were back just how I had them set up. Back track a little bit, I ended up manually switching my applets from my top panel to my bottom panel. However, since my panel setup was restored, I know there is a file somewhere that I can edit to switch the top/bottom as default.

Return to “Beginner Questions”