[SOLVED] Cant boot into Mint, boot loader is messed up?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Espair
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Cant boot into Mint, boot loader is messed up?

Post by Espair »

Hi, im really really new here and to linux. I really want to start using Mint, but i've come across some problems :( I'll try to describe what im doing and it hopefully I can get this up and running, so I can continue getting some work done!

I have a windows 7 install and 3 hdds. I installed mint from windows, then had it boot up fine. From there I installed mint finally (from the cd icon on the desktop) to the second partition on drive 3 that i dedicated for it. All is working well and fine, but then i do something stupid and try to install ati drivers on an already working system, for my ati HD4870. They install and i restart and my video is now really low res and i cant make it any higher. So, because i dont know how to revert what i foolishly did I tried reinstalling mint again (haha). This was a mistake... Im not sure, but i tried to install on the same partition (formating it again).. but.. I might have selected a different drive for the boot loader to be on. So when I restarted i get something like "grub recovery>" and it wont boot. I can boot it into windows by selecting the hdd windows is on in the boot load order in bios. and from there I deleted the master boot record and made a new one for windows with easybcd and tried reinstalling mint again. Now i tried doing the same thing but this time i selected the windows install drive for the boot loader for mint. And now when i boot up i get "grub>" and it wont boot.

tl;dr I get "Grub>" and no boot when trying to boot into Mint after fresh install. I can still get into windows fine.

Obviously i messed up the boot loader or records somewhere, but unlike normal files I cant just delete and start over? Im not sure what drive to install the boot loader on to in the first place. (live "cd" drive? or the mint installed drive? the windows drive?)

Is there a way, in windows preferably, where I can just.. erase all traces of this "grub" so when i install mint again, it will work perfectly again?

Thanks for any help and sorry for the lengthy post. I and a complete newbie in linux so be gentle!
Last edited by Espair on Mon May 06, 2013 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Cant boot into Mint, boot loader is messed up?

Post by Spearmint2 »

In XP I could tell you how to fix, but I've not tried W7 yet. In XP I'd boot from the installation CD for XP, choose to run the Repair, then run the commands FIXMBR followed by FIXBOOT and windows would have it's boot process repaired. Maybe W7 still has that available.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
Brucey99
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Brucey99 »

Do you have a CD you can put mint on?

If so, boot the live CD and go to the desktop (dont install)

You can try something called boot-repair, a GRUB repair tool. Not sure if mint has it by default, search 'boot repair' and run it.

If not, connect to the internet and follow these instructions

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair

- open a new Terminal, then type:

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:yannubuntu/boot-repair && sudo apt-get update
- Press Enter.

- Then type:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install -y boot-repair && (sudo boot-repair &)
- Press Enter

Try recommended repair first, If that doesn't work then use the advanced options
Espair
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Espair »

Thank you! the repair worked : )
Brucey99
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [SOLVED] Cant boot into Mint, boot loader is messed up?

Post by Brucey99 »

No problem

Return to “Newbie Questions”