Preparing Mint install on a Windows PC

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
MVincent
Level 1
Level 1

Preparing Mint install on a Windows PC

Post by MVincent »

I have a laptop that I would like to install Mint on.

The laptop had a hard disk failure and as a result I now have a brand new hard drive.

I have a hard drive to USB adapter.

Can I place a running copy of Mint on this new HDD when it is in the USB adapter connected to my Windows 7 desktop PC?

The plan would then be to install the new HDD into the laptop.

If not, what is the best way to install Mint onto the new HDD in the laptop?

Thanks,

Mike
edwardr
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Preparing Mint install on a Windows PC

Post by edwardr »

You should put the Mint iso file you downloaded onto either a USB thumbdrive or a dvd and install Mint onto the laptop from the USB thumb drive or dvd disc. See this link for instructions on burning the iso file to a dvd (you can't just burn it like a regular file) https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto
If you prefer to use a thumb drive (the installation process will go quicker with a thumb drive than a dvd), download the program unetbootin and use that program to install the iso file to the thumb drive.

Then install your new hard drive into the laptop and turn it on. Shortly after you press the power button a message will flash by quickly on the screen saying something like "Press F12 for boot options" or F8 or Delete (different computer manufacturers use different keys). Press that button quickly and repeatedly until the boot options menu comes up, then choose either dvd or USB, depending on which media you are using. This will run a live session of Mint. It will take a while to load as it is loading itself from compressed files on the USB/dvd, and that takes little while. When it is running, on your desktop you will see an icon for "Install Linux Mint". Double click that and you are off to the races!
The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true
MVincent
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MVincent »

Hmm. OK. Thanks.

So, I will need to buy a thumb drive or a writeable DVD.

Regards,

Mike
edwardr
Level 4
Level 4

Post by edwardr »

It shouldn't cost you very much money, or borrow one from a friend. You only need a 1 GB thumb drive, or, if your desktop has a DVD burner, just one DVD.
The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true
usbtux
Level 5
Level 5

Post by usbtux »

http://youtu.be/pq2bsTh_dDs How to use unetbootin to make a liveusb

http://youtu.be/gVCfeFOxGLQ External install
http://goo.gl/DXKgM LinuxMint tutorials.
Running LinuxMint 17.3 Mate. Pepermint 6 & Manjaro 15.12 Capella XFCE
http://goo.gl/WFu0u Installing Mint - the screen cast videos.
linuxcounter #368850
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

MVincent wrote:Hmm. OK. Thanks.

So, I will need to buy a thumb drive or a writeable DVD.

Regards,

Mike
these 8GB are great for laptop users since so low profile, and inexpensive.

I use these for keychain gifts with Kubuntu or Mint on them for friends or relatives.

Make sure to install into FAT32 format if just for "Live USB" usage. In Mint use the USB Image Writer program.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
MVincent
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MVincent »

edwardr wrote:It shouldn't cost you very much money,
Its not the money, its the waiting :)
or borrow one from a friend.
I'm looking to install Linux - you think I have friends? :lol:

Seriously though, thanks for your post.
MVincent
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MVincent »

Spearmint2 wrote:these 8GB are great for laptop users since so low profile, and inexpensive.

I use these for keychain gifts with Kubuntu or Mint on them for friends or relatives.

Make sure to install into FAT32 format if just for "Live USB" usage. In Mint use the USB Image Writer program.
Thanks for the links.

I bought a USB pen drive from a seller on ebay a couple of weeks ago - it pretended to be much bigger than it actually was!

Damn fakers!

Return to “Newbie Questions”