How to become a Guru in software programming?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
sam33
Level 1
Level 1

How to become a Guru in software programming?

Post by sam33 »

Hi everyone,
I'm considering myself a newbie with basic knowledge of c programming, bash script-writting, and mastering terminal to an average...
I really like to become a professional code writer in unix-type systems, especially Linux Mint (since I hate Microsoft O/S : I have windows7 in my dual boot machine but don't use it much, besides love to use Mint).
on what direction should I continue reading? I mean, what should I read? Since Gurus here, you know all about being good at implementing and amending codes, what should I do to be better?
I know education needs effort and time and I really like to progress in this field.
thank you guys.

p.s: my proper university education wasn't based on computer sciences at all, and It was part of Humanities, for years now, I'm reading computer stuff as a hobby.
Last edited by sam33 on Wed May 08, 2013 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vandalheart
Level 1
Level 1

Re: How to become a Guru?

Post by vandalheart »

sam33 wrote:Hi everyone,
I'm considering myself a newbie with basic knowledge of c programming, bash script-writting, and mastering terminal to an average...
I really like to become a professional code writer in unix-type systems, especially Linux Mint (since I hate Microsoft O/S : I have windows7 in my dual boot machine but don't use it much, besides love to use Mint).
on what direction should I continue reading? I mean, what should I read? Since Gurus here, you know all about being good at implementing and amending codes, what should I do to be better?
I know education needs effort and time and I really like to progress in this field.
thank you guys.

p.s: my proper university education wasn't based on computer sciences at all, and It was part of Humanities, for years now, I'm reading computer stuff as a hobby.
The best way IMHO is trial and error. Figure out what it is you want to achieve, and work at it till you do. If you could learn some basics and perhaps contribute to one of the many thousands of projects, it might help you learn faster.

Everyone uses Linux for a different reason. In my case it is to create music, and I am quite the authority in that field. You have already taken the first step by using Mint, I think this is the most difficult step.. choosing to abandon the all too familiar windows to some extent.

You need to be more specific as to what you intend to do, and possibly I can point you to a few resources that might help.

As for coding, it all depends on what kind of programs you want to work with. theres all kinds of programming languages to learn. some are quite specialized.

Keep in mind that Mint is one of many "flavours" of linux, and they are all more or less capable of the same. It is worth trying something new from time to time. Mint is a good place to start as it gives you the most complete out-of-box experience and has retained the windows-like interface that so many have deviated from. Mint is built on the idea of simplicity and ease of use, aimed at those taking their first steps into the world of Linux

It would be wise to check the various Ubuntu resources and forums for similar questions since Mint is built on Buntu. Debian might also hold some answers. (although your wording is rather ambiguous, you may want to edit the title to give others a better idea of what you are asking)
sam33
Level 1
Level 1

Re: How to become a Guru in software programming?

Post by sam33 »

well, my aim is to program softwares and later, engage in kernel development. i.e: writing programs relating to Mint GUI stuff, drivers, and ...
I started with Mint 13 Mate edition, half a year ago as a complete newbie. a week ago I decided to try Cinnamon edition. So, I installed 14 with liveCD and customized it much faster and better than before, with more use of terminal this time. ofcourse, I continue to read and practice Bash and C language but the problem is lack of material which aim to advance a newbie into guru. most materials about Linux in general, and resources on programming C language are either too easy or too hard to understand.

Also, I don't know how to find out about current Mint projects to get into practicing...

I'm already a little familiar with Ubuntu forums, as you mentioned, and I reached at by observation too. Mint, Ubuntu, Debian distros are very familiar and similar in many aspects.

thanks for answering me.
warprunner

Post by warprunner »

sam33 wrote:Hi everyone,
thank you guys.

Well like anything else...if you want to code, you have to love it. Honestly if you don't, it will drive you crazy! :D
The other is practice. All the time. Write and write. Same advice I was given to write books. Write and write.
Write some type of code that would benefit someone. That is good for the ego.
pfeiffep
Level 2
Level 2

Post by pfeiffep »

Excellent advice so far.....#1Pick a project, #2pick a language appropriate for the project. #3Write, write, write. Finish .... go back to #1

Reading is important, but you can get analysis paralysis :) by reading too much ......... you've got to practice
HP Tower | Intel iCore 7 3.2Ghz | 12 Gb mem | SDD Win7 | HDD Ubuntu 13.04 & Mint 14 Cinnamon | USB HDD Ubuntu 13.10
Dell laptop | Intel celeron 1.5 Ghz | 2 Gb mem | HDD Ubuntu 13.04 | USB HDD Mint 14

Regards, Pete

Return to “Newbie Questions”