Linux Equivalent to Microsoft's ClearType Application?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Radish
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Equivalent to Microsoft's ClearType Application?

Post by Radish »

Hi,

Does any one know if there is a Linux equivalent application to Microsoft's ClearType?

I've just installed Linux Mint and have made the appropriate setting in the Control Panel's 'Appearance Preferences\Fonts (tab) but I'm still thinking that if there is a Linux Cleartype application that I'd like to try it out.
Mint 17.3 x64 Cinnamon - Rosa
When stating what version of Mint you are using remember to include the "Edition". Is it "Cinnamon", "Mate", "KDE" or "XFCE"? This helps others help you.
abnvolk

Re: Linux Equivalent to Microsft's ClearType Application?

Post by abnvolk »

I think setting Aliasing to RGBA is enough. I prefer it over ClearType, which makes it impossible to use other fonts in Windows 7 :D
You can try some fonts to see which look best to you. IMO the default font (Sans) looks too "fat", so I use Droid Sans, size 9 - small but looks very elegant.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

abnvolk wrote:I think setting Aliasing to RGBA is enough. I prefer it over ClearType, which makes it impossible to use other fonts in Windows 7 :D
You can try some fonts to see which look best to you. IMO the default font (Sans) looks too "fat", so I use Droid Sans, size 9 - small but looks very elegant.
How does that answer the question?
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Radish wrote:Does any one know if there is a Linux equivalent application to Microsoft's ClearType?
Yes. It's called Infinality.

Code: Select all

$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:no1wantdthisname/ppa
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get upgrade
$ sudo apt-get install ttf-mscorefonts-installer
$ sudo apt-get install fontconfig-infinality
Once it's installed, simply choose from the Microsoft fonts as your default fonts in the user interface. The only thing you won't get is a chooser application similar to the ClearType app from MS, but a little bit of experimenting with anti-alias settings will get the same results. Actually, I think the infinality font rendering engine is far superior to MS ClearType.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Radish
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Radish »

Many thanks for that catweazel.
Mint 17.3 x64 Cinnamon - Rosa
When stating what version of Mint you are using remember to include the "Edition". Is it "Cinnamon", "Mate", "KDE" or "XFCE"? This helps others help you.
ichido
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ichido »

catweazel wrote:
Radish wrote:Does any one know if there is a Linux equivalent application to Microsoft's ClearType?
Yes. It's called Infinality.

Code: Select all

$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:no1wantdthisname/ppa
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get upgrade

$ sudo apt-get install ttf-mscorefonts-installer
This line does not work.
I cannot click <ok>

?
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. –Plato
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

ichido wrote:$ sudo apt-get install ttf-mscorefonts-installer
This line does not work.
I cannot click <ok>
Of course not. It's not a GUI app. Use tab and press enter.
jimwg

Post by jimwg »

catweazel wrote: Of course not. It's not a GUI app. Use tab and press enter.
Thanks for the hints and infinality tip! I'm also trying to feedback the infinality people to please include that notice on the installation window for newbies.

jim in NYC
drlucas
Level 3
Level 3

Post by drlucas »

Are there different installation steps on MInt 19? I am getting:
:~$ sudo apt-get install fontconfig-infinality
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package fontconfig-infinality
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Linux Equivalent to Microsoft's ClearType Application?

Post by Moem »

Mod note:
This thread is years old and should not be revived. Please start a new topic.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Return to “Beginner Questions”