I am always a newby

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jimisbell
Level 3
Level 3

I am always a newby

Post by jimisbell »

There may not be any stupid questions, but after 5 years I am still asking newby questions because I am so stupid I cant seem to learn.

I dont understand why I have several different file structures and I cannot bring them all together.

In DOS back in the 60s I could see the full structure with DIR. But Linux keeps creating new trees that I cannot find. On the Desktop I have an ICON for "Jim's Home" that doesnt appear to go to the same tree that "Jim" on the top of the list goes to. The ICON goes to Home/Jim but the name Jim on the list does not put the "Home" in front of it. I know they are not the same place because the files are different. The biggest difference is that when I look in the "Pictures" file half of my pictures are NOT THERE!!!!

I am trying to upload pictures that I can clearly see in "Home/Jim/Pictures/", accessed from the ICON on the desktop, to Yahoo groups but when in Yahoo groups I go to the "search for files" button it displays a tree that does NOT include the "Home" designation before the "Jim" designation and 8 of the pictures are NOT THERE in the "Pictures" folder

It is infuriating trying to keep track of where things go when I cannot see the entire tree of the HD.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Democracy is two wolves and a sheep discussing what's for dinner. Freedom is a well armed sheep contesting the decision.
usbtux

Re: I am always a newby

Post by usbtux »

In your file manager click on file system then go to home this is your home folder you should have a folder lost+found and Jim. Jim (you user home) is normally where all your files are kept.
You sound as if you've made a short-cut to somewhere else and made a user jim under that or added 2 users called jim.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

Hello jimisbell,

the Linux file structure can be a bit daunting at times so your not alone. But here is a nice chart that gives the basics of the structure:
http://www.thegeekstuff.com/2010/09/lin ... structure/

Normaly files you download will by default be sent to /home/jim/Downloads unless you told the browser to send them somewhere else. there is a directory called Pictures (full path would be /home/jim/Pictures) that's where I normally store all my photos. What your seeing is only the short directory name not the full path name in the file broswer. full path names will always look like this

Code: Select all

/home/<user Name>/<directory>/file name
if you have more than one user on the system then each user will have their own usr directory so if you went to /Home you would see

lost+found  jim  jim2 
and so on. most of the time the home Icon on the desktop (if you only have one user on the system will take you directly to that usrs directory so when you click on it , it really takes you to /home/jim and does not show you the /home directory.

good luck
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
jimisbell
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jimisbell »

I am told that I do not have the necessary permissions to open the list+found folder.
Democracy is two wolves and a sheep discussing what's for dinner. Freedom is a well armed sheep contesting the decision.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

jimisbell wrote:I am told that I do not have the necessary permissions to open the list+found folder.
run "sudo caja" and try it.

This is one reason I like saving everything to a FAT32 partition, so both Linux and Windows can see it and no permissions to worry with.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
jimisbell
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jimisbell »

Running "sudo caja" in terminal returns "Password for Jim: "

In other words, my password is a null string?

So where do I submit this password?

Can I disable this request for a password and just boot with all permissions granted?
gibbs1984
Level 5
Level 5

Post by gibbs1984 »

When it asks for a password just type it in.

You won't see any characters or stars (*) or anything but your password will have been typed. It's meant to be this way for safety reasons.

Press Enter when you've typed your password in.
Linux Mint 20.3 (Cinnamon) 64bit.
jimisbell
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jimisbell »

It has never asked for a password????? Just told me I couldnt access Lost+Found because I wasnt authorized. It didnt ask for authorization.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

jimisbell wrote:It has never asked for a password????? Just told me I couldnt access Lost+Found because I wasnt authorized. It didnt ask for authorization.
Have you popped in and booted from a LIVE CD and moved the files you want from that folder to where you can access them?
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

jimisbell wrote:It has never asked for a password????? Just told me I couldnt access Lost+Found because I wasnt authorized. It didnt ask for authorization.
you can access the folder by typing the following in a terminal

sudo Caja
that's if your using mate or

sudo nemo
if using Cinnamon or

sudo dolphin
if using KDE or

sudo thunar 
if using xfce.

then navigate to /home/lost+found the folder is owned by root and should not have anything in it normally.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
jimisbell
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jimisbell »

in Terminal, the following happens

jim@jim-N105 ~ $ sudo caja
[sudo] password for jim:
sudo: caja: command not found
jim@jim-N105 ~ $

When I just do a CR in answer to the request for a password I get the third line. Then if I try to enter sudo caja again (fourth line) I get the 5th line that is is not a found.

The same thing happens if I enter a known password except that mothing appears on the screen and the rast is the same as entering the NULL string password.

In neither case is the folder unlocked.
bigj231

Post by bigj231 »

You don't have Caja installed. Try another file manager off of the list.

Or you can learn to use the command line to browse directories. I find it faster than the GUI anyway. especially with the TAB autocomplete function.
jimisbell
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jimisbell »

OK, where do I go to learn how to use the command line? I would prefer that as that is the way I started out in the 60s with DOS
bigj231

Post by bigj231 »

There are plenty of sites. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UsingTheTerminal Honestly though, the best place to learn about it is from within it. The man and apropos commands are lifesavers.

The most common commands you'll use are: sudo, cd, ls, cp, mv, rm, man, apt-get

sudo gives root privileges for a single command
cd == change directory, similar to dir
ls lists files, similar to list
cp copies a file
mv moves a file
rm deletes a file
man shows the manual page for a command
apt-get is the package manager.

There is more information in that link.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

jimisbell wrote:OK, where do I go to learn how to use the command line?
Among the many great resources available, William Shotts has an excellent Linux CLI website which is full of Linux command line information, complete with a free version of his book, both of which are well presented and highly recommended (in my opinion).

Good luck!

Joe
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

jimisbell wrote:in Terminal, the following happens

[sudo] password for jim:
jim@jim-N105 ~ $

When I just do a CR in answer to the request for a password I get the third line. Then if I try to enter sudo caja again (fourth line) I get the 5th line that is is not a found.

The same thing happens if I enter a known password except that mothing appears on the screen and the rast is the same as entering the NULL string password.

In neither case is the folder unlocked.
which desktop are you using?
caja is for Mate.
jimisbell
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jimisbell »

I am using whatever came with Mint 11
TheDynamicHamza21
Level 5
Level 5

Post by TheDynamicHamza21 »

jimisbell wrote:I am using whatever came with Mint 11

Mint 11 is uses nautilus as it's file manager. Also Mint 11 is no longer supported since October of last year.
Linux Registered User: # 573034

Hamza21.com
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

jimisbell wrote:I am using whatever came with Mint 11
Mint 11 is quite old sorry didn't realize you were using that old a mint. it was obsoleted last October.

in any event it would have used use this command then :

sudo nautilus
That should work for you.

cheers ,
p.s. you might want to think of upgrading to a newer version as mint 11 is no longer supported.
jimisbell
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jimisbell »

every time I upgrade, I started with 8, it causes problems. I wish the new versions didnt make upgrade everything on the computer. When I upgrade and loose something I liked, it doesnt seem like an Up Grade, more like a Down Grade,

Return to “Beginner Questions”