my laptop getting hot

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
walidalsh
Level 1
Level 1

my laptop getting hot

Post by walidalsh »

i have an i5 lenovo laptop i installed linux one month ago but now my laptop os getting very hot so i bought a separated cooler but still it is very hot (temp:68-70 it can arrive until 74) what shold i do???Please HELP me!!
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Re: my laptop getting hot

Post by tdockery97 »

For a laptop, you're not really at the overheating range, but you're getting close. Some people have reported success in reducing laptop temperatures with the tlp power management application. You'll find info and the PPA information here: http://www.webupd8.org/2013/04/improve- ... fe-in.html

I use it and the hottest my laptop gets under load is about 63C. Hope it helps you.
Mint Cinnamon 20
walidalsh
Level 1
Level 1

Post by walidalsh »

thnks but can u plz tell me more about it im still new with linux and i tried to do that but i didnt knew how to do it but i think that what u gave me is usefull and i wish that i can benefit from it!!
JoeFootball
Level 9
Level 9

Post by JoeFootball »

walidalsh wrote:thnks but can u plz tell me more about it
Here's a link the to TLP website, which has more information.

Joe
TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Post by TBABill »

What type of apps are you using on the machine when it gets really hot? Is it during flash video playback?
walidalsh
Level 1
Level 1

Post by walidalsh »

watching shows and downloading with deluge
TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Post by TBABill »

If what you are watching is flash video based, not much you can do about it. Flash is a horrible resource hog and it's not just on Linux. OS X users suffer as well. If you have an option to get those videos to play in HTML5 you'll have a much better experience, but that's not always possible.
sjmcc
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sjmcc »

I have an hp lanptop with ati graphics. When running the open source graphics driver it runs really hot. Switching to the proprietary driver fixes the problem for me. Don't have actual numbers but the thing sits in my lap when using it and the difference is drastic.

Return to “Newbie Questions”