Completely fresh install

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Post Reply
Blairj089
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 9:38 am

Completely fresh install

Post by Blairj089 »

Hi there. Been using mint for about two months now. And have come across a query I can't find a solid answer for.

So I'm currently running Linux mint 14 alongside windows XP. And I wish to completely erase my hard drives and start again with a fresh install minus the windows side of it.

Is there a relatively easy way to completely remove all the data contained on all my hard drives, leaving them blank and without partitions, ready for me to re-install mint14 onto?
wayne128
Level 10
Level 10
Posts: 3411
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:15 am

Re: Completely fresh install

Post by wayne128 »

Blairj089 wrote: Is there a relatively easy way to completely remove all the data contained on all my hard drives, leaving them blank and without partitions, ready for me to re-install mint14 onto?
I supposed using dd is the 'easy way'.


just copy out from wiki link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dd_%28Unix%29
and paste here for ease of reading.
Disk wipe

For security reasons, it is necessary to have a disk wipe of the discarded device.

To check to see if a drive has data on it, send the output to standard out.

dd if=/dev/sda

To wipe a disk by writing zeros:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=4k conv=notrunc

The bs=4k option makes dd read and write 4 kilobytes at a time. This makes the whole process a lot faster on any relatively modern system. Note that filling the drive with random data will always take a lot longer than zeroing the drive, because the random data must be rendered by the CPU first. On most relatively modern drives, zeroing the drive will render any data it contains permanently irrecoverable.[5]

Zeroing the drive will render any data it contains irrecoverable by software. Note that it still may be recoverable by special laboratory techniques; read about data remanence.
The shred program may be used as a higher level tool for the same task.
Blairj089
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 9:38 am

Re: Completely fresh install

Post by Blairj089 »

Thank you.

Now I'm guessing performing such an action to all of my hard drives whilst booted into mint would be a silly idea. So can I run that command from mint whilst its running off of a live USB?
wayne128
Level 10
Level 10
Posts: 3411
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:15 am

Re: Completely fresh install

Post by wayne128 »

Blairj089 wrote: Now I'm guessing performing such an action to all of my hard drives whilst booted into mint would be a silly idea. So can I run that command from mint whilst its running off of a live USB?
:lol: good guess.


Yes, if you want to wipe hard disk, run a linux OS from Live DVD or Live USB.

remember to save your (useful) files to external hard disk first.

dd will destroy EVERYTHING on the specified hard disk.
User avatar
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16
Posts: 6892
Joined: Sat May 04, 2013 1:41 pm
Location: Maryland, USA

Re: Completely fresh install

Post by Spearmint2 »

Blairj089 wrote:Hi there. Been using mint for about two months now. And have come across a query I can't find a solid answer for.

So I'm currently running Linux mint 14 alongside windows XP. And I wish to completely erase my hard drives and start again with a fresh install minus the windows side of it.

Is there a relatively easy way to completely remove all the data contained on all my hard drives, leaving them blank and without partitions, ready for me to re-install mint14 onto?
Why not go to the hard drive manufacturer's site, download their software which is specifically for this, burn to a bootable CD, and use that instead? You could use a LIVE CD or DVD of Mint and use GParted to reformat all the partitions. If there's anything you want to save from Mint, the side by side install puts them in large files, fairly easy to find.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
chipbuster
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 231
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:34 am

Re: Completely fresh install

Post by chipbuster »

dd is indeed the easy way, especially if you managed to screw up your partition table so badly that parted and fdisk won't go anywhere near it , not that I've ever done anything like that....:oops:

Do be warned though, that if you are using an SSD, dd will most likely not work due to the nature of how SSDs work. If that's the case, then your only option is to do what Spearmint said.
gnudude
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 75
Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:07 am

Re: Completely fresh install

Post by gnudude »

Blairj089 wrote:And I wish to completely erase my hard drives and start again with a fresh install minus the windows side of it.
just reinstall, during the reinstall have mint use the whole disk...or use manual partitioning and configure your drive/partitions the way you prefer
pfeiffep
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 92
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:32 pm
Location: United States

Re: Completely fresh install

Post by pfeiffep »

gnudude wrote:
Blairj089 wrote:And I wish to completely erase my hard drives and start again with a fresh install minus the windows side of it.
just reinstall, during the reinstall have mint use the whole disk...or use manual partitioning and configure your drive/partitions the way you prefer
+1
Pretty straight forward - use manual partitioning when installing LM should provide the option to utilize your entire disk. Unless there's an underlying reason I see no need to wipe prior to install
HP Tower | Intel iCore 7 3.2Ghz | 12 Gb mem | SDD Win7 | HDD Ubuntu 13.04 & Mint 14 Cinnamon | USB HDD Ubuntu 13.10
Dell laptop | Intel celeron 1.5 Ghz | 2 Gb mem | HDD Ubuntu 13.04 | USB HDD Mint 14


Regards, Pete
Post Reply

Return to “Newbie Questions”