[SOLVED] How to install open office?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Fra

[SOLVED] How to install open office?

Post by Fra »

Hi guys,

I need to install Open Office. I went to their site and downloaded the program, which is in my laptop now, in the form of a file:

Apache_OpenOffice_incubating_3.4.1_Linux_x86-64_install-deb_it.tar.gz

What should I do to open and install it?

Thanks

Francesco
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: How to install open office?

Post by xenopeek »

Easiest is extracting the contents of the archive first (double-click it in your file manager to open it). Then open Synaptic from your menu and from its File menu select Add downloaded packages. Then click on "File System" in the left hand sidebar and from there browse to your home folder in /home and proceed to the folder where you extracted the archive. You will have to traverse some folders in that also, until you get to the DEBS folder which has a list of .deb files. You want to select all of these for adding. Synaptic will install them for you if your system meets requirements.

Or if you are competent, just use the terminal. Extract the archive, browse to the DEBS folder, open a terminal there, and just run:

Code: Select all

sudo dpkg -i *.deb
Fra

Post by Fra »

Thanks xenopeek,

1) I used the first method but once I open the DEBS folder I can only see a list of non-selectable files. So ?

2) I also used the second method you suggested and the terminal worked, it did something. But I am not sure that the program is installed now.

f
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

Fra wrote:Thanks xenopeek,

1) I used the first method but once I open the DEBS folder I can only see a list of non-selectable files. So ?

2) I also used the second method you suggested and the terminal worked, it did something. But I am not sure that the program is installed now.

f
You also have to install the desktop integration package - which you will not be able to install unless you remove libreoffice from the system.
the desktop-integration package is found in the DEBS folder and once libreoffice is removed you can install it using dpkg or gdebi.
good luck after that it should show up in the menu.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
jgradyc

Post by jgradyc »

Forgive me, I'm a newbie as well, but it occurs to me that maybe you're approaching this the wrong way.

Libre Office is as good or better than Open Office. As I understand, it's a newer version of Open Office.

It's already included when you install Linux Mint 14 or 15RC, as well as the more recent versions of Ubuntu. Why not just install a better OS (Mint 14 or 15RC) and get a better version of Open Office... i.e., Libre Office? I'm running Linux Mint 14 on a year 2006 laptop and it runs fine. Of course, you need to back up all your files to reinstall them after you install the new OS, but you should be backing up your files anyway.

If there is a problem with this approach, hopefully another poster will point it out, but this is what I would do... especially if you continue to have problems installing Open Office.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

Hello jgradyc,

for the vast majority of people libreoffice will be fine. there are occasions when Open Office must be used in it's place. Corporate requires it for instance :(

Apache is very stable and doesn't change as fast which is seen as a plus by some.

I use them both at times.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
Fra

Post by Fra »

jgradyc wrote:Forgive me, I'm a newbie as well, but it occurs to me that maybe you're approaching this the wrong way.

Libre Office is as good or better than Open Office. As I understand, it's a newer version of Open Office.

It's already included when you install Linux Mint 14 or 15RC, as well as the more recent versions of Ubuntu. Why not just install a better OS (Mint 14 or 15RC) and get a better version of Open Office... i.e., Libre Office? I'm running Linux Mint 14 on a year 2006 laptop and it runs fine. Of course, you need to back up all your files to reinstall them after you install the new OS, but you should be backing up your files anyway.

If there is a problem with this approach, hopefully another poster will point it out, but this is what I would do... especially if you continue to have problems installing Open Office.
Thank you so much for investing your time thinking about my problem. Actually, after all, the right solution for me is what you suggest: I 'll keep Libre Office. I wanted to change it because when I had a Microsoft computer I installed Open Office and got used to it, it seemed very intuitive and very similar to Microsoft Word.

Anyway. Thanks to you all guys, I have learned how to install Open Office (if ever required) but for now, since I've know that they are so similar, I am motivated to make the most of Libre Office :D

Return to “Beginner Questions”