How to install themes on Mint LDBE Cinnamon 64bit?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
ugljesap
Level 1
Level 1

How to install themes on Mint LDBE Cinnamon 64bit?

Post by ugljesap »

First, i would like to thank you all in advance for having patience for a complete newbie like me. I had some brief experience with previous mint distros, so i know some of the basics(used them as a live distro with preservation).
So, i decided to install it permanently besides my Win7, had some nvidia driver problems but i have sorted it out. Now, i saw some themes that caught my eye, and i wanted to install them, but all of my efforts were in vain. Tried several methods like this one http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 9&t=108970 and this one http://www.faqforge.com/linux/how-to-ma ... intubuntu/, and even some terminal commands that were included in theme readme but none seemed to work. Second method caused my X server to crash, so i had to log into gnome and to restore original theme. Is there a foolproof method how to install custom themes? I know that this is not a matter of life or death, but it's a start, and things like these will get me started in the right direction and someday i will be able to make more modifications (and possibly mess up my system). :)
ugljesap
Level 1
Level 1

Re: How to install themes on Mint LDBE Cinnamon 64bit?

Post by ugljesap »

My bad, i justa saw my typing error in the title, it is LMDE instead of LDBE. Don't know how i came up with that...
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

Installing new themes is a piece od cake. Simply extract them to /.themes :D If you don't have that directory simply create it in your home folder :D
ugljesap
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ugljesap »

Ok, i just created /.themes folder, and extracted the theme (minty colors to be exact) but it doesn't show up in cinnamon settings? If i am correct, i had to open file manager as root, and in / to create .themes folder?
eanfrid
Level 7
Level 7

Post by eanfrid »

As usual, the right paths are either "/usr/share/themes" for a system-wide installation or "~/.themes" (i.e. the hidden .themes folder in you own home folder [notice the leading dot]) for a common user installation.
Main desktop: Debian GNU/Linux Jessie 64bit - MATE
(i5 2400@3.7GHz - 16GB DDR3 - HD6770 w/radeon driver - SSD+RAID1)
Safer than Dropbox
james0658
Level 1
Level 1

Post by james0658 »

Hello I actually just did this on my system and was wondering the same thing I found a video on youtube that helped. I did the same mistake you did. so here's simple instructions.

click on your home icon on your desktop then go up to view in your window panel, then click on "Show Hidden Icons". or press CTRL-H
Now create the .themes folder, then go and grab the theme file where ever you extracted to, then you could either drag and drop, or copy and paste it's up to you.
close out your windows then check your cinnamon settings and tell me if you see it or not in your themes. Note this is not used for changing Icons or Window themes this is to change the theme of your panel only.

Some people on the forums don't like to go step by step acting as if every one is a professional Linux programmer, and don't explain enough detail. So I know how it feels I get the same half @ssed answers. Some people should also read the section they are in. It's called NEWBIE QUESTIONS. Not LINUX PROGRAMMER QUESTIONS. I guess the blind have to lead the blind on this one. I really hope this helps.

Once again another confused Newbie, just like me. Some responses don't help, but this one will. I just did it myself and it worked. Take care :D
james0658
Level 1
Level 1

Post by james0658 »

Brahim wrote:Installing new themes is a piece od cake. Simply extract them to /.themes :D If you don't have that directory simply create it in your home folder :D
This isn't correct, you have to open home folder then show hidden icons,CTRL-H then create the .themes folder, then extract, then copy and paste, or drag and drop. Just did this myself and this sequence works, and is also in more detail then your explanation.

No offence and not trying to be rude, but this is the Newbie section not I know every thing section. When in Newbie section next time please be more descriptive, step by step usually works well, especially for those that are totally new to Linux. Not that this person is but there are New Linux users out there that might read this and not have a clue.

Remember we all were beginners at some point. thank you
ugljesap
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ugljesap »

Actually, the first guide works, but i had to install Cinnamon Themes package, i thought that it was installed by default but it wasn't. Anyway, my problem is now solved, so i really appreciate your help and patience. Thank you.

Return to “LMDE Archive”