[SOLVED/No Longer Applies] Wireless Driver Issue w/ Mint 15

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
EmpireITtech
Level 4
Level 4

[SOLVED/No Longer Applies] Wireless Driver Issue w/ Mint 15

Post by EmpireITtech »

Hey guys, I just recently reinstalled my "test" laptop with the newest Linux Mint 15 Olivia. Everything seems to work pretty well except for the wireless card/driver. When I go into the new "Device Drivers" section, it correctly lists my 2 drivers needed (GPU and Wireless). The GPU driver is fine and works at the default setting, however my wireless driver does not. I can actually get the wireless to work when the driver is set to "Not in Use", but the signal is weak, but when I turn on the Broadcom Linux Wireless Driver on it's never able to join the wireless network, although it and see them all and have great signal.
It's very strange, but I actually have the exact same issue with the new Ubuntu 13.04 on the same laptop....maybe since these releases are the same-ish they both have the same Broadcom Wireless Driver issue?...
Any insight here would be much appreciated :D
Last edited by EmpireITtech on Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Linux: Mint 19 Tara Cinnamon 64-Bit

Box 1: Intel Core 2 Quad | 8gb RAM | 500gb WD 7200rpm | nVidia Geforce GTS250
Box 2: Intel Core i3-3240 | 4gb RAM | 1tb WD 7200rpm | AMD/ATI Radeon HD 4550

Pants: 32x30

EmpireITtech
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Wireless Driver Issue w/ Mint 15

Post by EmpireITtech »

bumpity bump

TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Post by TBABill »

Could be the wrong driver or setup incorrectly by Mint. Can you tell us which Broadcom it is?

EmpireITtech
Level 4
Level 4

Post by EmpireITtech »

I don't have the laptop with me at work now, but I can get you the info as soon as I get home. Thanks for the help in advance =]

EmpireITtech
Level 4
Level 4

Post by EmpireITtech »

TBABill wrote:Could be the wrong driver or setup incorrectly by Mint. Can you tell us which Broadcom it is?
Says it's a -
Broadcom Corp: BCM4313 802.11b/g/n Wireless LAN Controller
This device is not working.

Gives me 2 choices -
bcmwl-kernel-source version 6.20.155.1+bdcom-0ubuntu6
or Do not use Device

When I choose to use the device, I can "see" the Wireless access points with excellent strength, but cannot connect to them. (the wireless card light on the laptop is active)
When I choose to not use the device, I can connect but the strength is weakened (and the Wireless card light on the laptop is turned off)

I used it on Linux Mint 14 just fine.... :(

EmpireITtech
Level 4
Level 4

Post by EmpireITtech »

bumpity bump

Citromon
Level 1
Level 1

LM 15 - I couldnt install wi-fi broadcom driver

Post by Citromon »

Hi.

There is a problem - on live CD and installed LM (32 & 64) I couldnt install broadcom drivers by default driver installer.

Why?

On LM 14 and Ubuntu 13.04 wi-fi detects normally during install. Why in LM 15 developers make it broken?

Can everybody help?

MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

The powers-that-be who decide what makes up the kernel at one point decided to include Broadcom wireless drivers(?). All well and good if they'd properly included support for all Broadcom wireless devices, I suppose, but a bit of a Screaming Mimi (little bitty bug with great big teeth :rolleyes: ) since they chose to only include part of them.

In my case, I had to follow a thread's (here, somewhere) instructions and remove the preconfigured blacklisting of Broadcom drivers, IIRC, and was then able to install actual working ones via Synaptic Package Manager. When I did, my wireless device started - or should I type "went back to," since it wasn't an issue in older distros before Broadcom "support" was added to the kernel? - working normally.

Aha, found the thread. This might be of use to you (if your issue is like mine was):
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=124036

Best of luck to you,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

Citromon
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Citromon »

Thanks for reply.

Things had been written by you is very difficult.
I easy make wired connection, install from sinaptic some sh*t by "broadcom" request - and wi-fi have worked.
But, WT*, why mint developers make so? In LM 14 all works perfectly.

And, in fact, LM 15 is so slowwwwwww. I mean work with menu items (in LM 14 it was perfect), hotcorners work, expo-feuture.
And why there are only 2 themes installed by default?
Why new logo is so ugly (compare with kubuntu logo)?
I am disapointed.

TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Post by TBABill »

It's a bug and I will try to find the link. You need to install a newer driver to correct the problem.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1110139

Citromon
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Citromon »

Thanks.

PussyCat
Level 4
Level 4

Post by PussyCat »

I may be missing something here but the solution for Broadcom BCM4312 should be straightforward so assume BCM4313 will be also. Make sure you have a wired connection for the duration of the exercise - go to Preferences > Additional Drivers and the propriatary STA driver should be offered (and downloaded) which then needs to be Activated. My Wifi worked a treat thereafter.

TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Post by TBABill »

Different adapter , different method to fix in this instance. Refer to link to the bug affecting -4313.

Orbmiser
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Orbmiser »

And hope it gets fix for you.
But blaming Mint when in fact it's an Ubuntu issue.
Means Mint can't fix it and needs a fix from Ubuntu.
Which I am sure is in the works.

But yep can be a pain in the arse.
But don't give Mint the bad rap here blaming them.
As wasn't them that broke it.

TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Post by TBABill »

Orbmiser wrote:And hope it gets fix for you.
But blaming Mint when in fact it's an Ubuntu issue.
Means Mint can't fix it and needs a fix from Ubuntu.
Which I am sure is in the works.

But yep can be a pain in the arse.
But don't give Mint the bad rap here blaming them.
As wasn't them that broke it.
I didn't give Mint any blame throughout this whole thread. And I posted a link to a bug that affects Ubuntu, so it carries into Mint.

Orbmiser
Level 6
Level 6

Re: LM 15 - I couldnt install wi-fi broadcom driver

Post by Orbmiser »

Sorry TBABill was aimed at Citromon
Citromon wrote:Hi.

On LM 14 and Ubuntu 13.04 wi-fi detects normally during install.
Why in LM 15 developers make it broken?

Can everybody help?
Instead should state why did Ubuntu developers make it broken.

joe.attaboy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by joe.attaboy »

Just a little update and solution to this issue.

First, this really isn't an Ubuntu or a Debian or a Mint issue. The problem likely lies with Broadcom and their lack of availability of firmware information for their wireless hardware. Broadcom does make a "generic" wireless driver for Linux, but it allegedly doesn't work with everything. Therefore, the Ubuntu development team have had to use fwcutter to pull the firmware information from a Windows driver to build one that works for Linux. I tried to install Mint 15 Cinnamon on my wife's 8-year-old HP laptop this weekend and ran into this issue. Here's the fix, and I'm pretty sure this will work for most situations:

1. Determine the exact model and firmware version of the driver. Open a terminal and enter:
lspci -vnn -d 14e4:.

2. You'l get a string back that looks like this:
0001:01:01.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller [14e4:4318] (rev 02)

Look at the section between the brackets at the "14e4" part near the end.

3. Go here and make sure your adapter is compatible with the Broadcom b43 driver, on the chart about a quarter way down the page:
[url]http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/b43[/url]

4. If you're in the green area, you're good to go. Now, the Ubuntu/Debian folks have made this easy for us. Just run this command:
sudo apt-get install firmware-b43-installer

5. Reboot and you're done.

This worked perfectly on the ancient boat anchor my lovely calls a laptop.

EmpireITtech
Level 4
Level 4

Post by EmpireITtech »

Sorry I'm just replying to this, haven't been on the boards in a while due to work, I'll try this tonight and see what I get on my Ubuntu laptop. Thanks a lot!

pizzapotomus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pizzapotomus »

joe.attaboy wrote:Just a little update and solution to this issue.

First, this really isn't an Ubuntu or a Debian or a Mint issue. The problem likely lies with Broadcom and their lack of availability of firmware information for their wireless hardware. Broadcom does make a "generic" wireless driver for Linux, but it allegedly doesn't work with everything. Therefore, the Ubuntu development team have had to use fwcutter to pull the firmware information from a Windows driver to build one that works for Linux. I tried to install Mint 15 Cinnamon on my wife's 8-year-old HP laptop this weekend and ran into this issue. Here's the fix, and I'm pretty sure this will work for most situations:

1. Determine the exact model and firmware version of the driver. Open a terminal and enter:
lspci -vnn -d 14e4:.

2. You'l get a string back that looks like this:
0001:01:01.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller [14e4:4318] (rev 02)

Look at the section between the brackets at the "14e4" part near the end.

3. Go here and make sure your adapter is compatible with the Broadcom b43 driver, on the chart about a quarter way down the page:
[url]http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/b43[/url]

4. If you're in the green area, you're good to go. Now, the Ubuntu/Debian folks have made this easy for us. Just run this command:
sudo apt-get install firmware-b43-installer

5. Reboot and you're done.

This worked perfectly on the ancient boat anchor my lovely calls a laptop.
My output on step 2 was:

01:07.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller [14e4:4318] (rev 02)
Subsystem: Linksys WMP54GS v1.1 802.11g Wireless-G PCI Adapter with SpeedBooster [1737:0042]
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 64, IRQ 16
Memory at fbffe000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)
Kernel driver in use: b43-pci-bridge

When I ran step 4 then rebooted my system crashed into a horrible mess of text on a black screen. Normal reboots crashed to the same screen. I ran the recovery option on boot and ran the dpkg on the recovery then rebooted and got back to a stable environment. Any ideas what is going on? Is my wireless card just broken? It works on windows 7 when I dual boot there. No matter what I try I seem to have this issue with the card usually I have to do a clean install to recover.

JimMiller
Level 1
Level 1

Post by JimMiller »

I don't know if this will help but this is the setup that I am now working on LIVE at this Moment..!!!!!

I have a Gigabyte E1500 Laptop with Wireless Capability.
I created a USB Distro to boot the Laptop and load Mint 15 in the Distro Capability without installing Mint 15 to just try and test it.
I have a Virgin Media account with a Netgear Router

The steps I took were:-
Settings - Network Connections - Add - Wifi _ Create
WiFi Page - SSID (Enter the SSID of the Router)
Security Page - WPA & WPA2 Personal (Enter the Password of the Router)
Save

Lo and behold it works. And I have no reason to believe it should not work as you install the System onto your Hard drive. :D

Return to “Newbie Questions”