OH DEAR GOD KILL IT WITH FIRE - Deleting Linux Mint Helena 8

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
chastingz
Level 1
Level 1

OH DEAR GOD KILL IT WITH FIRE - Deleting Linux Mint Helena 8

Post by chastingz »

This virus has stuck to my computer like a cancer.

I am using Linux Mint Helena 8. I've tried all sorts of tutorials for installing a new OS and nothing has worked. At the moment it's this or Vista, which runs for about 20 minutes before freezing up entirely. I can't install google chrome. Nothing in the Synaptic Package Manager is working. I have a version of Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate on disk. Booting from disk does nothing. Please help. I don't have the money to buy a new computer.

Also I'm not a computer wizard. I know a bit, but I'm an art student, so I'm dumb. If you can help, please try to explain simply. I shall be forever in your debt. I wouldn't mind transferring to a more helpful Linux OS like Debian or Ubuntu, if it's easier. What I'm using just isn't doing it for me. Or if I can just factory-restore this whole computer, I'd be happy to do that too, if I knew how.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: OH DEAR GOD KILL IT WITH FIRE - Deleting Linux Mint Hele

Post by xenopeek »

Linux Mint 8, and Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic) that it uses as a package base, has been obsolete for over two years now. It's time to upgrade and install a currently supported version of Linux Mint. http://www.linuxmint.com/oldreleases.php

Though the Linux Mint 8 repository is still online, Ubuntu has started a while ago with removing the Ubuntu 9.10 repositories. Two years after the release was obsoleted and reached end of support, that's not so strange I think. So indeed, you can not install software from there. Most PPAs or other repositories will also no longer support Ubuntu 9.10. Time to upgrade.
chastingz
Level 1
Level 1

Post by chastingz »

xenopeek wrote:Linux Mint 8, and Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic) that it uses as a package base, has been obsolete for over two years now. It's time to upgrade and install a currently supported version of Linux Mint. http://www.linuxmint.com/oldreleases.php

Though the Linux Mint 8 repository is still online, Ubuntu has started a while ago with removing the Ubuntu 9.10 repositories. Two years after the release was obsoleted and reached end of support, that's not so strange I think. So indeed, you can not install software from there. Most PPAs or other repositories will also no longer support Ubuntu 9.10. Time to upgrade.

Thank you so much.
Pierre
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Pierre »

Time to upgrade.
not always:- I've been using a laptop with Mint 5 LTS Daryna - for some years now & it still works just fine.
- I've updated FF 3x to FF 20, tho.

but, as this OP has a crook O/S, then an update would be in order .. go with Mint 13 LTS
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

Run the memory test to check your RAM if you are having this much problem across several operating systems.

How old is this computer?

If the computer is back when dual core processors were just arriving, it may be one with bad caps. They can fail but let a computer run for awhile on bootup, but ripple effect eventually brings the system down, data to hard drive gets corrupted, and RAM freezes at times, and the old CRT used to display the ripple effect across the screen, the LCD monitors don't.

If the mem86 test comes back bad, then open the computer and look inside at the capacitors and see if any of them or crooked, leaking, popped the top, anything not normal.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
jgradyc
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jgradyc »

As another newbie, let me make a suggestion. Replace your computer with a newer, used computer.

You should be able to buy a 6-8 year old dual core laptop/desktop off Craigslist for $75 or even less. In Nashville, we have 2-3 computer recyclers who buy old laptops from businesses and recycle the parts. If your city has someone like this, you should be able to get a 2006-era Lenovo laptop for $100-$125. I bought one with no hard drive for $40 and installed a hard drive I had from a laptop with a bad motherboard. It's now running Linux Mint 14.

To me, it makes a lot more sense to upgrade your computer than to spend hours trying to get a really old system to work. I'm typing this on a 2010-era Toshiba L505 with Windows 7 that I bought for $130 off Craigslist. I swapped out the hard drive and installed Linux Mint 15. It doesn't have a battery, but I use it as a desktop replacement anyway.

If you take this approach, I'd suggest Lenovo business-grade computers. If they've lasted 6 years, they're probably bullet-proof and should last another decade. A lot of the cheaper laptops don't have a useful life span of much more than 5 years.
usbtux
Level 5
Level 5

Post by usbtux »

I would try mint 13lts .
Backup all necessary docs/data

Boot the computer with mint make sure it works ok.
If happy, start gparted click device> new partition table. This will wipe the disk.
Restart computer with win 7 disk and install 35G would be enough.

Then choose on of the following.
How to dualboot Windows and Linux using a simple install. This is a simple standard install. http://youtu.be/lzXZpEWTApc

How to dualboot Windows and Linux using a manual install This is manual install. http://youtu.be/GlEVQqFtcuM
http://goo.gl/DXKgM LinuxMint tutorials.
Running LinuxMint 17.3 Mate. Pepermint 6 & Manjaro 15.12 Capella XFCE
http://goo.gl/WFu0u Installing Mint - the screen cast videos.
linuxcounter #368850
vandamme
Level 1
Level 1

Post by vandamme »

If you're running a truly antique machine (which I doubt, if it runs Vista), try downloading Puppy or Bodhi, burn one to a CD, and try booting from that. Puppy runs happily off the CD, and it's fast because it loads into memory. Bodhi is fast and cool, with its E17 desktop. If neither runs off a CD, you have serious hardware issues. So start there.

Return to “Newbie Questions”