Lock Screen and Military Time

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
alligoodw
Level 2
Level 2

Lock Screen and Military Time

Post by alligoodw »

I'm using Linux Mint 15 (Olivia) cinnamon edition.

Having lock the screen, I've noticed the time actively working on the desktop. Is there a way to run it in AM/PM mode as opposed military time? If so, how do I change it?

Thanks!
Cage
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Lock Screen and Military Time

Post by Cage »

Right Click the date and time. Then select Preferences.
alligoodw
Level 2
Level 2

Post by alligoodw »

Cage wrote:Right Click the date and time. Then select Preferences.
No can do. That might work with the desklet clock but it doesn't work with the clock associated with the login screen. The ability to right-click on the login screen isn't available to the user.
commonplace
Level 1
Level 1

Post by commonplace »

I'm wondering the same thing. I don't see any way to change the lock screen's clock settings so it's not in 24-hour ("military") time. Is this not possible?
eanfrid
Level 7
Level 7

Post by eanfrid »

Code: Select all

sudo mdmsetup 
then "General" tab ?
Main desktop: Debian GNU/Linux Jessie 64bit - MATE
(i5 2400@3.7GHz - 16GB DDR3 - HD6770 w/radeon driver - SSD+RAID1)
Safer than Dropbox
GabeA
Level 1
Level 1

Post by GabeA »

When I change it, it resets to "auto" (which apparently also doesn't work, since I set it in "Region and Language" to AM/PM as well.

I tried setting it and opening the program back up again. The changes aren't saved on close, apparently.
eanfrid
Level 7
Level 7

Post by eanfrid »

Erf! Same thing here :( On the other hand, in Europe most of us cannot immediately tell if 12:43PM is in the afternoon or... tomorrow morning :mrgreen:
Main desktop: Debian GNU/Linux Jessie 64bit - MATE
(i5 2400@3.7GHz - 16GB DDR3 - HD6770 w/radeon driver - SSD+RAID1)
Safer than Dropbox
excalibur300
Level 1
Level 1

Post by excalibur300 »

GabeA wrote:When I change it, it resets to "auto" (which apparently also doesn't work, since I set it in "Region and Language" to AM/PM as well.

I tried setting it and opening the program back up again. The changes aren't saved on close, apparently.
Same problem here.

It's really annoying to be honest i wish there was a workaround or something.
Feenix
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Feenix »

GabeA wrote:When I change it, it resets to "auto" (which apparently also doesn't work, since I set it in "Region and Language" to AM/PM as well.

They are not saved on close. On my computer the bottom part of the window is cut off. Their should be an apply or save button. Since I use mint on a net book, I am going to try to send video to larger screen to see if I can find the save button.
Feenix
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Feenix »

To my surprise all I found at the bottom was a close button. It seems theirs a design flaw in the settings panel sit it won't stay on any thing but Auto
Crewp
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Crewp »

This will solve your time issue

First click on your date and time, when the calender opens, click on date and time settings
Next, when the calender window opens, first make sure you switch to advanced mode, at the bottom left
Next on the "date format for the panel" line type in the following %a %b %e, %l : %M %p
Then close the window, your time will now run on the 12 hour clock :D LINUX ON MY FRIEND
logannc
Level 1
Level 1

Post by logannc »

Crewp wrote:This will solve your time issue

First click on your date and time, when the calender opens, click on date and time settings
Next, when the calender window opens, first make sure you switch to advanced mode, at the bottom left
Next on the "date format for the panel" line type in the following %a %b %e, %l : %M %p
Then close the window, your time will now run on the 12 hour clock :D LINUX ON MY FRIEND
You are a gentleman and a scholar. I was about to resort to editing the Panel Applet! :P
sheybklyn
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sheybklyn »

This only fixes the panel for me. The lockscreen remains Military time.
sheybklyn
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sheybklyn »

Anyone ever figure this out? It's annoying. I will try other channels for support. If I find an answer, I will post it here.
alexandrito
Level 1
Level 1

Post by alexandrito »

sheybklyn wrote:Anyone ever figure this out? It's annoying. I will try other channels for support. If I find an answer, I will post it here.
There is another post about this --> http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 9&start=20

I dont understand how there isn't a workaround for a simple thing like this -- Change to 24 Hour Format :)
aisPanais
Level 1
Level 1

Post by aisPanais »

Open settings, and then go to "Date & Time". The changes made there, I've noticed, do not affect your panel applet, but they affect the lock screen.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

LoginClock.png
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

Return to “Newbie Questions”