Installing video drivers, Mint 15

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
AvidAardvark
Level 1
Level 1

Installing video drivers, Mint 15

Post by AvidAardvark »

I'm trying to install video drivers for my embedded RS880M (HD 4225/HD 4250) graphics chip, so that I may benefit from hardware acceleration. I've followed dozens of how to guides, and haven't had success yet! Is there not a working driver for my chip under Mint; there is for Windows!? I tried the fglrx package, no cigar. I've attached a SnapShot of my system info...
Sys info
Sys info
tbh I massively frustrated; why does everything in Linux have to be so convoluted and cryptic!? In Windows everything is three clicks away, 'download, execute, click finish'; even the Unix based OS X, manages to make things fairly uncomplicated! They keep going on about making Linux unintimidating for novices, yet as someone who builds PCs for a hobby, and considers them self a Windows guru, I have to say it feels like pulling teeth. If anything it's got harder, Ubuntu used to automatically find the appropriate package and notify you; now it's an hour in terminal and still fail...
Dis93
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Installing video drivers, Mint 15

Post by Dis93 »

I had issues with my ATI/AMD graphics this morning and was advised, on the #linuxmint-help IRC, to go to Menu>System Tools>System Settings>Device Drivers.
I had the default xserver-xorg-video-ati(recommended) selected and chose the fglrx-updates. After a reboot I had the AMD Catalyst drivers and Control Centre installed!
A word of warning, I heard that HD2000/3000/4000 based cards have had support for Linux dropped by AMD .
Here :
[url]http://phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?70500-AMD-To-Drop-Radeon-HD-2000-3000-4000-Catalyst-Support/page2[/url]
bellesoreilles
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bellesoreilles »

I have a slightly different problem - I have the embedded Radeon 6520G. When I install either flgx or the upgrade, when I reboot, there is a big 'sticker' at the bottom right of the screen with "AMD Warning - unsupported device".
Dis93
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Dis93 »

bellesoreilles, you should really start a new thread to ask your own question
having said that is there a reason you didn't leave the recommended driver on? As the messgage indicates the propriety drivers are not suitable for your , I presume, embedded graphics.

Return to “Newbie Questions”