Live works but installed version doesn't?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
DTFan
Level 1
Level 1

Live works but installed version doesn't?

Post by DTFan »

I had previously installed Ubuntu 13.04 on a separate partition on my Win Vista computer. That worked fine. It was a little slow and I had heard a lot of positive things about Linux Mint. So I downloaded the iso for Linux Mint 15 Cinnamon 32 bit. I used UNetBootin (sp?) to create a Live USB drive. Worked fine and I was able to "test" that it worked on my machine.

I double-clicked on the Install Linux Mint from the desktop of that and followed the instructions. I told it to remove (overwrite?) the Ubuntu 13.04 partition (the default selection). All went well.

However, once I booted using the LInux Mint 15 option I ran into trouble. First off it says it's not using the graphics and is running in some special mode (which it suggests not to do on a regular basis). Also, the trackpad is not working. It did work when "testing" through the Live Mode but not when using the installed version. Also, I can not get onto the internet.

Is this a case of me needing to uninstall and/or re-install Ubuntu and not using Linux Mint? I hope not as I was happy to hear about how low LM was in terms of resources. But I'm really wanting a solution where I don't have the problems I'm having right now.

If it wasn't clear from my above post, I am a noob. Please, any responses, make them uber-easy and uber-simple to understand.

Thanks.
Last edited by DTFan on Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Live works but installed doesn't?

Post by caf4926 »

I suggest you use Mint 15 Mate
Sounds like your graphics is limited
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

DTFan
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Live works but installed version doesn't?

Post by DTFan »

I can try installing the Mate version. I'm sooooo very new to Linux. It is an older machine. It's confusing that Ubuntu 13.04 would work fine out of the box with the wireless and the mouse and graphics and that the Live version of Mint 15 Cinnamon would work fine. But not when installed. So confusing to me.

I will try the Mate version and see what happens. If anyone can think of anything else that I might try I'll give it a shot also. I'm going to wait until tonight to do the Mate version so any other idea's for the Cinnamon version I can try today.

Thanks again.

caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

It sounds like Cinnamon is falling back to a mode to suit your graphics which are likely not capable of managing the effects employed in Cinnamon
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

Lumikki
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Lumikki »

caf4926 wrote:It sounds like Cinnamon is falling back to a mode to suit your graphics which are likely not capable of managing the effects employed in Cinnamon
Could be, but...

Without knowing what graphics card person has it's hard to know can It run Cinnamon.
Asus P7P55D, i5 750 2.6Ghz, 4GB DDR3, GeForce 750Ti, 80GB Intel SSD, Dell 1600x1200, Dual boot, Linux Mint 18 Cinnamon, Windows 7

DTFan
Level 1
Level 1

Post by DTFan »

Oh, sorry about that. It's an older machine (dell laptop) vostro 1500 running a mobile intel 965 express chipset.

Is it too outdated to run Linux Mint 15 with Cinnamon? A friend suggested OpenSuse but everything I've heard is that Mint is the way to go for older systems.

Would the system running in a mode without the graphics adapter cause the mouse functionality to also not work? Touchpad and plugged in mouse both fail to work.

Thanks again for any and all suggestions.

caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

DTFan wrote:Oh, sorry about that. It's an older machine (dell laptop) vostro 1500 running a mobile intel 965 express chipset.

Is it too outdated to run Linux Mint 15 with Cinnamon? A friend suggested OpenSuse but everything I've heard is that Mint is the way to go for older systems.

Would the system running in a mode without the graphics adapter cause the mouse functionality to also not work? Touchpad and plugged in mouse both fail to work.

Thanks again for any and all suggestions.
I'm sure that Dell is probably OK but you could check here
http://www.ubuntu.com/certification/desktop/make/Dell/?page=1&category=Desktop&category=Laptop&category=Netbook

I continue though to suggest Mint Mate
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

Lumikki
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Lumikki »

DTFan wrote:Is it too outdated to run Linux Mint 15 with Cinnamon? A friend suggested OpenSuse but everything I've heard is that Mint is the way to go for older systems.
Like above suggested to you, try Linux Mint MATE or OpenSuse. Both are excelent choises too.

As you system is older and it did not work right after installation with Cinnamon in first try. It could be wise to try some other than Cinnamon. When hardware starts to conflict something, fixing it can be painfull operation, unless persons knows what to do. Giving advices through forum can be little limited, if the issue just happen to be harder than normal.

I have never got installed my LInux Mint Cinnamon without hardware issues. Even if I do run Linux Mint 14 Cinnamon at the moment. Solving issues can take a lot of time.
Asus P7P55D, i5 750 2.6Ghz, 4GB DDR3, GeForce 750Ti, 80GB Intel SSD, Dell 1600x1200, Dual boot, Linux Mint 18 Cinnamon, Windows 7

Return to “Newbie Questions”