Music Plays but Caja Window Closes or Crashes

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
KoHoSo
Level 1
Level 1

Music Plays but Caja Window Closes or Crashes

Post by KoHoSo »

I'm running Linux Mint 15 Olivia MATE 32-bit. I Installed it the weekend after it was released and haven't had a single problem until tonight. This is a weird one but I'll do my best to explain.

For the first time since installing, I went to do some organizing of my mp3 collection. My mp3s are all currently located on a secondary hard drive. At one point, I went to cut-and-paste a few files into a new folder. Upon selecting the cut command, one of the selected files began playing and, simultaneously, the window I had open closed or crashed. The file kept playing yet I had no apparent way to get it to stop.

This keeps happening on and off. Sometimes I can move the files successfully, and other times this repeats itself. It also did this at one point when I right-clicked on a file and tried to select VLC to play it. VLC never opened, the window closed/crashed, yet the file played in the background with no way to stop it other than to kill my volume. I have not changed any of the default settings for audo nor have I installed any other media players other than what came with Olivia (although I have installed Audacity, gtkpod, Asunder, and Sound Converter but have not used them yet under this installation which, BTW, was completely fresh).

I don't see anything else in here right now on a similar problem so any help would be appreciated to assist me in finding where the problem lies on my end or if this might be something that needs attention from the programming community. I have listed some of my computer's stats below in case they wil be of any assistance.

CPU - AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+(65W) Brisbane 2.2GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2
mobo - ASUS Crosshair Socket AM2 NVIDIA nForce 590 SLI MCP ATX
RAM - unknown 4GB dual-channel (Mushkin or Corsiar, long story)
PSU - Cougar GX 700
GPU - XFX One 512 MB
audio - Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1
HDD o/s - Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3250620AS 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s
HDD - Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 ST3160827AS 160GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 1.5Gb/s NCQ {-- where mp3 colletion is stored
HDD - Maxtor 6 Y080M0 80GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 1.5Gb/s
o/s - Linux Mint 15 Olivia MATE 32-bit
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati (When all else fails, play dead)
KoHoSo
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Music Plays but Caja Window Closes or Crashes

Post by KoHoSo »

I'll add one more new fact here as a bump...just hovering over a few mp3 files to hear the preview results in the same behavior. After doing four to six previews, the window closes/crashes and then I'm stuck with no way to stop the last song from playing all the way through.
KoHoSo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by KoHoSo »

I'll bump this again with one more fact to see if maybe somebody in the weekend crowd would care to try and give me some help. When previewing music files, it will not only crash/close that window but any other Caja windows that I have open.

So...hello? Anybody? Bueller? Bueller? Bueller? :(
germex

Post by germex »

Same issue here. Mint 15 Mate. Caja 1.6.1, my audio collection is also on an external HD, I preview audio files and all of a sudden caja windows closes and the audio keep previewing until the song finishes.
KoHoSo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by KoHoSo »

Well, at least I know it's not just me. Folks, are we doing something wrong here? Does this problem/question belong in a different forum? Is somebody already working on this and we just missed it? I'm really surprised nobody has been able to help or at least guide us in another direction.
boysha
Level 3
Level 3

Post by boysha »

It is happening to me too and it is very annoying! My idea is to maybe change the file manager. I'll post when I try... Cheers! Neb

Okay - I found the way around it. I found a File Manager called - PCManFM in the Package Manger. After installing I made it a default in the Preferred Applications so that it behaves
the same a caja but it doesn't crash... Cheers!
KoHoSo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by KoHoSo »

boysha wrote:Okay - I found the way around it. I found a File Manager called - PCManFM in the Package Manger. After installing I made it a default in the Preferred Applications so that it behaves
the same a caja but it doesn't crash... Cheers!
I will try that myself this afternoon when I have time to play around with it!

I also want to add another detail in case anybody cares to try and solve this for Caja (or wherever the problem lies). I cannot say this 100% yet but, far more often than not, the problem seems to happen when I preview a file that has the album cover embedded in it. In that case, it does not appear to be any different if it was embedded by me using EasyTAG (or, Mp3tag from my days on Wind'ohs) or came that way from an online store such as Amazon. I would be interested to know if anybody else having this same problem is noticing the same thing or if maybe it's just dumb luck on my part since most of my mp3 collection does have the cover art embedded in the file.
trurl9

Post by trurl9 »

Discovered I have the same problem too today.
Mouse over .ogg music file and song starts playing then caja 1.6.1 window disappears but music keeps playing.

> ps aux
See a totem instance process running.

> dmesg
Appended in dmesg are caja segfault errors like this:

[ 9352.820420] caja[4103]: segfault at 98 ip 00000000004a4ff4 sp 00007fffc4388800 error 4 in caja[400000+1cc000]

> inxi -b
System: Host: hpdv7 Kernel: 3.8.0-19-generic x86_64 (64 bit) Desktop: N/A Distro: Linux Mint 15 Olivia
Machine: System: Hewlett-Packard product: HP Pavilion dv7 Notebook PC version:
Mobo: Hewlett-Packard model: 1802 version: 10.5A Bios: Hewlett-Packard version: F.1A date: 06/22/2012
CPU: Quad core Intel Core i7-2670QM CPU (-HT-MCP-) clocked at 800.00 MHz
Graphics: Card: Intel 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller
X.Org: 1.13.3 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1600x900@60.1hz
GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Sandybridge Mobile GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 9.1.3
Network: Card-1: Intel Centrino Wireless-N + WiMAX 6150 driver: iwlwifi
Card-2: Realtek RTL8111/8168 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller driver: r8169
Drives: HDD Total Size: 750.2GB (6.1% used)
Info: Processes: 211 Uptime: 2:18 Memory: 660.6/7933.6MB Client: Shell inxi: 1.8.4
KoHoSo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by KoHoSo »

I'm back on this because I was hoping that some of the updates that have come over the past week or so might contain a fix for this problem. Instead, it appears that the problem is getting worse. Yes, perhaps PCManFM (the file manager for LXDE) fixes the problem but I would think that somebody involved with Linux Mint, MATE, or Caja would have something to say about this.

So, again I ask...am I not doing something correctly here? Is there somewhere else I should be reporting this problem?
KoHoSo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by KoHoSo »

Well, since nobody will help with this as far as Caja goes, I tried PCManFM. Yeah, it works fine but the music preview feature is lost. I don't want to lose that feature, I just don't want it to crash my open windows and leave an mp3 playing that I can't stop (other than to turn off the volume).

Maybe I'll ask a new question...why can't I get any help with this Caja problem? :(
alan1world

Post by alan1world »

Same, with Mint 16 x64.
I know its still not a solution, but you can keep Caja and turn off music preview.
Edit -> Preferences -> Preview -> Sound Files: Preview Sound Files = Never.
skelband
Level 1
Level 1

Post by skelband »

I also have this problem.

Hover over music, starts preview, but crashes Caja if you try to start Totem to play the file by double clicking. Totem continues as disconnected process.
Is pretty reproducable.
KoHoSo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by KoHoSo »

skelband wrote:I also have this problem.

Hover over music, starts preview, but crashes Caja if you try to start Totem to play the file by double clicking. Totem continues as disconnected process.
Is pretty reproducable.
I'm glad to see somebody else speak up about this. Frankly, I gave up since this problem seems to not want to catch the attention of anybody involved in the project. If only I had another lifetime to learn coding. :(
wizard97_4

Post by wizard97_4 »

Hi,

Looks like there's a bug report about this issue: https://github.com/mate-desktop/mate-fi ... issues/157
Wouter_db

Post by Wouter_db »

Yep, same problem here. Very irritating, since I didn't had this issue when using Caja (downloaded separately to replace Thunar) in Mint 15 XFCE. :?:

EDIT
I tried this (uninstall Totem): https://github.com/mate-desktop/mate-fi ... issues/157 but sadly to no effect.

I noticed that the preview function works fine, it just when you launch your mediaplayer (VLC here) Caja instantly crashes while the music keeps on playing.
eduengler

Post by eduengler »

solution:

sudo apt-get remove totem
sudo apt-get install vorbis-tools sox mpg123
sudo apt-get install gstreamer0.10-tools
Wouter_db

Post by Wouter_db »

Thx but unfortunately Caja is still crashing as soon as you take the mouse off the music file, and then open it.
kb98

Post by kb98 »

I am having the same problem, I had this problem with Mint Cinnamon 15 now I have installed fresh copy of Linux Mint 16 Petra Mate. Whenever I hover mouse over the mp3 file it plays preview but then everything closes as if caja has crashed and there is no way of closing the mp3 file, the only way of closing mp3 file is to log off and on again. I also used ubuntu and I think it worked ok with it but not so good in Linux Mint. I hope developers will work on this. I really dont want to go back to windows, thank you very much, its a Virus Magnet. I was wondering if there is a way to disable this feature.
Churchhead
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Churchhead »

I had this issue with Linux Mint 15 Olivia MATE 32-bit and I now have it again with Linux Mint 16 Petra MATE 32-bit. In Mint 15 Caja would crash while hovering over a song and leave the song playing in the background. Now in Mint 16 I'm trying to edit file information of some songs in Rhythmbox while also looking at the files in their directory in Caja, it will be ok for a couple of minutes then Caja will suddenly disappear leaving a song, or sometimes multiple songs, playing in the background, and I have to end the process in System Tools > System Monitor > Processes.
michaelltaylor
Level 1
Level 1

Post by michaelltaylor »

I just upgraded to Petra and encountered the same problem. When I mouse over an mp3 file, Caja closes, but the file plays in the background with no way to stop it. In my case, I found a solution! It seems totem-thumbnailer was conflicting with mate-thumbnailer. I uninstalled Totem and everything works now. I know a solution for me may not be a solution for you, but it's worth a try.

sudo apt-get remove totem

Return to “Beginner Questions”