changing startup logo with plymouth

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
castle-bravo

changing startup logo with plymouth

Post by castle-bravo »

Hello Everyone!

I'm new to Mint and Linux in general, and this is my first post here.

In an attempt to exercise a little of my newfound freedom, I decided to change the startup logo - the fading green leaf in LM 15. I followed carefully the instructions on http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/1149, and created a new theme. Unfortunately, I still see the LM logo when I restart my computer. Is there a reason why the above procedure shouldn't work?

Thanks for all your help, and for the beautiful operating system.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Ginsu543

Re: changing startup logo with plymouth

Post by Ginsu543 »

I just went through this process myself following the instructions on that webpage (and it worked without a hitch!). For me to help you, it would really help to know exactly which instructions you followed. Could you please list them, step by step, which commands you issued using Terminal? Also, just to be clear, you made changes to Plymouth but you're still seeing the original Mint 15 Plymouth screen, yes?
castle-bravo

Post by castle-bravo »

I got everthing to work. I was unable to use the recipe for the simple theme in the tutorial though - probably because I have a password protected disk. When I copied the default linux mint theme and modified that, everything worked perfectly.
liberty_small.png
Ginsu543

Post by Ginsu543 »

Excellent!
LesStrater

Post by LesStrater »

I'm using LMCE-17 and found this thread when searching how to change the bootup logo, The above sounded like a lot of hassle (with themes and such) so I found an easier method:

1) Rename your new logo image "logo.png" and copy it to the clipboard.
2) Navigate to /lib/plymouth/themes/mint-logo/ and rename "logo.png" to "OLD_logo.png".
3) Paste your new "logo.png" image into the folder.

At this point your new logo will display during shutdown but not during bootup. To get it to display during bootup, run this command:

$ sudo update-initramfs -u

That's it, you're done.

(Note that the folder "mint-logo" in the line above will change depending on which distro you are running...)

Return to “Beginner Questions”